Sticky milk in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
I was able to get a quantity of 15 gallon containers from my brother. He got them from a neighboring dairy farm, and he used them to haul milk that wasn't grade A quality. (He uses the milk to feed to the pigs.)

The barrels are number 2 HDPE, and I've tried quite a regimen to clean out the residue, but some still remains.

I've used hot water with a strong caustic first, followed by a soak with vinegar. Next I soaked with a bleach solution, and lastly Oxyclean. In places where I couldn't reach with a brush, some of the white clumpy stuff still sticks. Any ideas?

Fat and oils love to stick to plastic.

A steam cleaner might be your best non toxic alternative to get this stuff off the plastic.

PBW should break down the organics.

Stick a rag or three in there with the hot pbw and slosh it around. The rags shold give you some scrubbing action against the walls where you can reach with the brush.

Back