Sterile bulb syringes to start siphons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up one of those sterile bulb syringes for $4 from Amazon to start a siphon. It works very well. I was trying to think of something cheap that would provide suction since I didn't want to spend another $15 after picking up a Midwest basic kit, recipe and bottles ;) Just bottled my first 5-gallon batch of nut brown ale :mug:

Cool, I'm glad it works for you! My solution, which never resulted in an infection, was to take apart a Bic pen, insert the middle plastic casing bit (sanitized) into the end of my tubing, and suck start it with my goddam mouth. Worked like a charm. Now I use BrewCraft fermentation buckets with valves (well cleaned) on them... easier. Cheers!

Cool, I'm glad it works for you! My solution, which never resulted in an infection, was to take apart a Bic pen, insert the middle plastic casing bit (sanitized) into the end of my tubing, and suck start it with my goddam mouth. Worked like a charm. Now I use BrewCraft fermentation buckets with valves (well cleaned) on them... easier. Cheers!

Nice! Yep, ingenuity and brewing have gone together since the beginning of time. Gotta get the brews flowing no matter what ;)

I do the same thing, but I use a sanitized plastic turkey baster. I insert the tapered end into the tube, and suck on the other end. Once I have the tubing filled, I remove the baster and let it flow...

Back