Steps To Brewing A Better Small Batch IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilledPint

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been brewing a variety of different small batch single and double IPAs for a while now and have been enjoying myself but feel like I could certainly do better. So I'd like to tap the experts here for some sage advice.

I've brewed some using Mallards Mals Golden liquid malt extract (what Northern Brewer provided), some using Breiss Golden Light (from my LHBS), and some using light dry malt extract. To date however I have only used Safale US-05 dry yeast though. I've brewed with Citra and Mosaic hops both alone and in combination which have given me some great tropical flavors like I've desired, and I've only limited myself in variety to keep it more cost efficient as the hop bags I purchase are sold in two ounce bags, and once opened could start to oxidize (I store them in the freezer in their mylar bags in freezer ziplocs once opened).

I've used Whirlfloc with Clarity Ferm combined with cold crashing to clear my beer, this has helped a lot.

What steps should I consider for moving forward, getting a better result, and producing a tastier beer :)? All grain perhaps, or something else?

Thanks in advance. :mug:

You could try making flavored beers, making your own concentrates!
And when I mean concentrates, I don't mean just fruits, but also different kinds of nuts which can be a combine of fabulous flavors! (Almond, helznuts and macadamian sounds delightful as nice after taste)
Theres an infinite possibility of combinations with hops, flavors and the kinds of sugar you add to your brew!! Be creative and don't be scared to make tests, they could result surprisingly good! :)

Oh also if you're interrested you can watch some videos on youtube for the easy steps of making your own concentrates of anything you want.

Hope I gave you some ideas
Cheers mate! :mug:

I personally found this very interesting (not sure if you are looking to get hoppier, but it is common for new homebrewers to fall short of their desired hoppiness):

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/top-10-tips-super-hoppy-ipa.html

I assume you are doing full boils if you are making small batches.

I would certainly do a lot more experimenting if you've only used one yeast and two hop varieties. Maybe search for clones of your favorite commercial versions.

Experiment with different hopping techniques, for example FWH. I personally didn't really care for it as it seemed like it stripped away an essential IPA feature, although I am certainly not done playing with that option. Other methods are mash hopping, hop stands, hop teas, etc.

Compare English style to the American style. And even west coast vs "regular" American. Try a black IPA (assuming you don't hate roast flavors).

I'm sure there are more things you can try, but that's a quick list.

All grain certainly will help, also loading up on hops and getting 2/3rds of your IBUs In The last 15 minutes of the boil is something to play around with. Hop stands, whirl pooling, and multiple dry hop additions are good ideas as well

Thanks for the tips all :). I definitely want to experiment more and try making a clone. I had a homebrew maple pecan beer at a beer festival the other day that was delicious the other day, so totally tempts me to use pecan in a concentrate and to play around with other sugars. I've been debating trying WLP-090 Super San Diego too instead of US-05 yeast too. I do a 60 minute boil, so I'm guessing that's a full boil. Oddly I never thought about trying different hopping methods, was just playing with additions at different times and dry hop amounts, that's definitely something I'll work with more. Appreciate the great tips everyone.

You can goto all grain easy. Check this video. since making it I've fine tuned it to get 3 six pack a brew.

BTW when I make an American IPA I use American grain, hops and yeast.

If doing a British style I use Marris Otter and British hops and yeast.

I "invented" a German IPA which my Irish/American friend says is impossable and calls it a "German Pale Ale". LOL I use Munich malt and you guessed it German hops and yeast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expand your yeast inventory. That will have the single biggest impact on your IPA creativity, without requiring other changes in your technique.

I do a 60 minute boil, so I'm guessing that's a full boil.

"Full boil" refers to volume. If all the water that ends up in your fermenter is in the boil kettle, that is a full boil. However, it is common (especially for new brewers who may not have all the equipment requirements) to boil a partial amount and add water at the end of the boil. Generally not a big deal, but on IPAs where you may want a ton of hops it is possible to hit the saturation point of hops in wort before adding water. Basically, on some recipes a partial boil will preclude you from following the recipe exactly.

I'm no expert but I would stick with US05 for now and work on other variables in your process. US05 is a solid performer and when you are experimenting it is nice to have a few constants so you can better judge batch to batch what provided (or failed to provide) the improvement.

Fermentation temperature control is a big deal in brewing IPAs.

Hopping methods can make a big difference especially late hops, whirlpool, dry hop etc.

Partial mash can be a nice way to ease into all grain. And when you do that focus on base malts like 2-row or marris otter -- don't load up IPAs with a bunch of crystals or other specialty malts.

Latest posts

Back