Steps in step infusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewalk02

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a step infusion today but I wanted to know what the most common temps and rest times people are using.

I'm planning on a 120 F rest for 45 min a 154 F rest for 60 min then 170 F for 10 minutes. Are there any temperatures in between that I'm missing??

120 F rest for 45 min

Unless you're mashing a large percentage of unmodified grain(s), that step will likely kill the head and body due to the high percentage of small-chain proteins.

If you're mashing well modified malt(s), skip the protein rest. If you're mashing a large percentage (30%+) of unmodified grain(s), reduce the protein rest to between 20 - 30 minutes.

I must add what a great asset the HomeBrewTalk form has with Denny on board vs the other forum that he is constantly on. Yes i'm on both forums also and always look forward to your replies on that other forum as well this one Denny. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and take care.

I wouldn't be surprised if you got a better beer from just the 154 F rest.

Problems with the 120 F rest for 45 min. have been mentioned and I'm not sure resting at 170 F is buying you anything...but it's not hurting either. I mash out at 170 F but don't actually rest at 170 F per se...it takes me a few minutes to get the 170 F mash into the lauter tun and the mash will be in the lauter tun for plenty of time so I don't spend any extra 'rest' time at 170 F.

FWIW, a rest schedule I frequently use is:
148 F for 20 min
154 for 60 min (sometimes just 40 min)
Mash out @ 170

Hey folks: Since we are talking about step infusion I would like to know do most people just add heat to the MLT to raise temps? Since I use a cooler for an MLT would I add more water at higher temps? remove part of the wort, heat and return to MLT? Will Beersmith figure out my numbers?
Thanks, Charlie

OP: Sorry to steal a little of your post.

Spanish: How are the lagers going. Transferring my Oktoberfest this wknd. My Vienna and pils are in the garage lagering @ 39F. Don't think I can hold it at that temp much longer, Spring is in the air.

I mash in a pot so I can either do an infusion or add heat. Obv adding heat slowly brings the temp up where an infusion does it much quicker. Usually when doing my 148/154 2-step I just add heat...I want the temp to go up slower. If I do an infusion it will almost always require boiling water...otherwise it seems the mash thickness changes too much (plus I need to save water for the sparge).

The two lagers that are 'ready' are not my best efforts at all. The Helles had too much acidulated malt giving it a slight sour twang and the Vienna has a weird astringency that I'm assuming is tannins. The Vienna is still quite young but I don't think this off-flavor is going away. The Vienna is most disappointing...this def will not be going to the NHC. Marzen is this weekend. Must brew better.

I mash in a pot so I can either do an infusion or add heat. Obv adding heat slowly brings the temp up where an infusion does it much quicker. Usually when doing my 148/154 2-step I just add heat...I want the temp to go up slower. If I do an infusion it will almost always require boiling water...otherwise it seems the mash thickness changes too much (plus I need to save water for the sparge).

The two lagers that are 'ready' are not my best efforts at all. The Helles had too much acidulated malt giving it a slight sour twang and the Vienna has a weird astringency that I'm assuming is tannins. The Vienna is still quite young but I don't think this off-flavor is going away. The Vienna is most disappointing...this def will not be going to the NHC. Marzen is this weekend. Must brew better.

Thanks I guess I can mash in pot then put in in a sleeping bag then return to stove.
Bummer about your double decoc brews. Lots of work. I tasted mine going into the primary, too green to tell. Pils has promise, vienna don't know. I will sample the Marzen soon. I did hit my numbers on all of them, keeping my fingers crossed

Back