Stepping Up a Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerfly

Reaction score
I have been planning a high gravity beer (Hopslam clone) and it calls for a starter stepped up from 1L to 2L to 4L. I tried to read different takes on just how to do this and decided to visit the White Labs website to get their take. They only had information on a starter so I e-mailed them to get some clarification. This is the response, if true it throws everything I've read an wrong.

Here is their response:

I normally start with a little more water so that I end up with about 2 pints (1 liter) when I'm done, but it's not critical. The important thing is that the gravity of the starter be at 1.040 or less and that you provide adequate oxygen supply to the yeast during the starter. Doing a stepped starter is good to further increase the yeast growth, but the recommended steps are usually 10X the previous step in order to maintain the growth rate. You'll get a good doubling of the culture when pitching 1 vial into a 1L starter, but to get a further doubling you'd need to pitch that yeast into a 10L starter, which is a lot to ask a homebrew to make. It might be easier to take part of that starter and do another 1L starter to further the yeast growth. For an ale starting at 1.095, you probably want to pitch 3 vials, or do a 2 step starter to get enough yeast to finish, and make sure to oxygenate the wort well before pitching.

You can use the yeast from a previous batch as long as that batch wasn't also a high gravity brew. High gravity fermentations are very stressful on yeast, much like running a marathon is on a person. You wouldn't want to run 2 in a row or the 2nd one wouldn't be pretty. If your first beer was a low gravity beer, then the yeast will be in good shape to do a higher gravity beer next, and you should be able to collect plenty of yeast. You may want to rinse the yeast first to remove any trub and dead cells, and there's plenty of info on that process on the web.

I hope that helps. Good luck and happy brewing!

John Carroll

White Labs, Inc.

Sales & Customer Service

Tel: (888) 593-2785 - U.S. & Canada

(303) 530-0469 - International

This is from another thread that I posted on;

"I buy a vial or a smack pack and then I grow a starter, cold crash, decant starter wort, wash the yeast with 2 pint jars of water. I then save one jar and repeat the process with the other jar. I'll do this 3 times in a week. By doing this I end up with 3 one pint jars with approx. 100 billion cells each to save for future brews, and I also end up with a big fat starter to pitch in whatever I'm brewing. I feel that propagating yeast from new smack packs/vials before it's used to ferment a batch of beer gives me more viable yeast to save then washing it after the fact (that's just my theory)...."

You could do this and then pitch the starter and as many of the extra pint jars as needed depending on the cell count that you need...

So if I make a 1L starter it doubles my yeast. If I split this into 2 parts and do a 1L starter with each I end up with 4 times my original count? Is that correct or am I missing something? If doing starters, is it necessary to wash the yeast if I'm going to pitch it all?

So if I make a 1L starter it doubles my yeast. If I split this into 2 parts and do a 1L starter with each I end up with 4 times my original count? Is that correct or am I missing something? If doing starters, is it necessary to wash the yeast if I'm going to pitch it all?

You have the right idea, although I think it takes 1.5 to 2L to double your count. And that depends on yeast viability, it requires the perfect gravity of starter wort, and very good aeration. Use this; http://www.yeastcalc.com/index.html

Thanks, I will use the link you shared and I also ordered a stir plate. Does this hobby ever stop costing more money?

Thanks, I will use the link you shared and I also ordered a stir plate. Does this hobby ever stop costing more money?

NEVER! :mug: I try to DIY as much as I can to save a buck.. I made my stir plate for about $22.00

Mind sharing your build details....or giving a link to its location? :rockin:

I used this;

I ended up using a different magnet that I already had. If you don't have a cumputer that you can hack up you can probably still buy the fan from a computer repair store for cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy has them quite reasonable and also has a DIY link on his site with some good tips. If you can find 2 buddies to go in on them already made, it's 3 for $100.00 total incld. shipping.

I had already ordered mine. I paid the 42.00 for one and it came in one day. Nice build and came with stir bar and keeper magnet.

Beerfly said:
This guy has them quite reasonable and also has a DIY link on his site with some good tips. If you can find 2 buddies to go in on them already made, it's 3 for $100.00 total incld. shipping.

Thanks for the info! I ordered mine this morning and it already shipped.

I ordered one as well. Seems like a good middle-of-the-road price for those of us with terrible DIY skills. Response time on the order was lightning quick too.

Back