Step up to #3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggie22

Reaction score
Gonna brew a 1.090 beer this evening. Made a 2L 1.040 starter on Tuesday. Stepped it up on Friday morning. According to the high gravity setting on the yeast pitch calculator, it is not quite big enough. No stir plate yet. Next project. So my question is, is it too late to step up again as I will probably be pitching around midnight? So 13 hours from now.

To me it looks like you were good to go. Please let us know how it turned out.

Question: what did you start with? A single vial/smack pak?
If just one - here is what I came up with for you based on an agitation method of no stir plate:

~79 billion based on a single pack/vial which is probably less than a month old - but I just used a month old to be sure.
Starting Yeast Count: 79 (Billion Cells)
Starter - Step 1:
Starter Size 2 (L) Gravity (1.040) Growth Model and Aeration

DME Required:
8.1 oz, 228.2 g
Growth Rate:
Inoculation Rate: 39.5M cells/mL
Ending Cell Count:
223 billion cells
Resulting Pitch Rate:
0.55M cells / mL / °P
Starter does not create enough yeast cells. Increase starter size, change aeration technique, or do another step.

Starter - Step 2:
Starter Size 2 (L) Gravity (1.040) Growth Model and Aeration

DME Required:
8.1 oz, 228.2 g
Increase:
Inoculation Rate: 111.5M cells/mL
Ending Cell Count:
432 billion cells
Resulting Pitch Rate:
1.06M cells / mL / °P
Starter meets desired pitching rate!

I have used BrewersFriend from the beginning and loved it.
Take a look:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

I used brewers friend for the calculator. It was a vial that was a month from it's best before date. I think brewers friend said 50 some % viable. This is what made the calculation low for what I did. Luckily I had pretty crappy efficiency for some reason and didn't hit my target OG. I ended up being fine.

Perhaps you didn't hit your eff # because most of the krausen was on the floor or in that jar? :D

Excellent - I have yet to miss a yeast calc with that brewersfriend tool.

After I cleaned that up I had even more yeast in the next container.

The bad eff came from the fact that I usually BIAB but this grain bill wouldn't fit in my BK. I decided to break out the old MT to do a batch sparge but I forgot to adjust the crush on my mill. I have it set pretty fine for BIAB. Two stuck sparges. I also tried out my new NG burner and didn't boil off as much as I thought I would even though I tested the boil off with water prior to brewing. I will probably just sub in DME next time for high gravity brews. The good thing is that it will be beer and I will still drink it.

The bad eff came from the fact that I usually BIAB but this grain bill wouldn't fit in my BK. I decided to break out the old MT to do a batch sparge but I forgot to adjust the crush on my mill. I have it set pretty fine for BIAB. Two stuck sparges. I also tried out my new NG burner and didn't boil off as much as I thought I would even though I tested the boil off with water prior to brewing. I will probably just sub in DME next time for high gravity brews.

Nice - at least you know why. I like that...

The good thing is that it will be beer and I will still drink it.

lol - that is the way I think too! I just won't serve it to my friends...

Just kegged this. FG 1.012. Didn't turn out too shabby considering. Will know more when carbed.

Latest posts

Back