Step starting old yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cee3

Reaction score
I got a tube of White Labs yeast that's about 5 months past it's "best if used before" date. I'm hoping it's still viable. I'm planning a trippel of about 1.080.

I've started it in a qt of starter, and once that starts (hopefully), I'm gonna add it to another 2 qt starter. My question is when is it best to move from the first starter. When it's in high krausen or after? I guess the question is, at what point have the yeasties finished their reproducing? I would guess before they start fermenting, so that once it's in high krausen they're at their peak.

Your guess is good.
The most important thing to consider when making a starter is oxygen. The yeasts need it to reproduce. Also, if it's not on a stir plate then give it a good swirl every hour or so.

See http://maltosefalcons.com/tech/MB_Raines_Guide_to_Yeast_Culturing.php for a lot of good information on yeast propogation.

Good luck.

-a.

P.S. 5 months beyond the use by date is fine, but it may take a few extra days to really get going. For that gravity, stepping up to 2 qt sounds like a good idea.

Thanks ajf!

Yeah, I pumped almost a minute's worth of oxygen into the quart starter. Nothing after 24 hours, so I gave it a shake. Unfortunately I can't bring it to work to do it more often, but I'll swilrl it when I can til it gets going.

Latest posts

Back