Step-san sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TennBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used this? Advertised to be like Star-San only NO FOAM! Well, I've tried it and it is indeed less foamy but the smell....it is like an intense plastic smell. I have not used this on any of my brewing equipment for fear of this smell being imparted into my beer. I would be interested to hear from anyone who uses this for home brewing sanitizer.

Iodophor may be a good option for you. Much less foaming.

FYI
The Star San foam bubbles contain whatever gas was there when they were formed.
E.g. if there was air in the keg, then the bubbles are full of air, which of course has oxygen.

I started a thread about this a while back and got some responses from the manufacturer (Rick Dude). They even took the feedback about smell from myself and another poster and re-formulated to reduce the odor. The reformulation was better, not perfect. But i doubt they’ve gotten that to market yet, so you probably have the original recipe.

I’ve used it interchangeably with StarSan with no ill effects. Have even won medals for beers made when using it.

Here’s the thread: “Anyone have experience with “San Step NS” sanitizer?”
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...erience-with-“San-Step-NS”-sanitizer?.650797/

Iodophor may be a good option for you. Much less foaming.

FYI
The Star San foam bubbles contain whatever gas was there when they were formed.
E.g. if there was air in the keg, then the bubbles are full of air, which of course has oxygen.

Yes, thanks. I have some Iodophor but haven't used it in awhile. I also have Sani-Clean which contains Iodophor, I think. BTW, The Star San foam bubbles are formed from the dissolved gases in the Star-San solution, not the surrounding air.

The Star San foam bubbles are formed from the dissolved gases in the Star-San solution, not the surrounding air.
Stan San makes foam with agitation because it has a surfactant, not because anything in the solution actually produces or releases gas. It's air, unfortunately.

Back