Step or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstofer

Reaction score
I'm going to brew saturday morning and I have a question on either stepping or not stepping a starter. I searched on here, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I have a 2L and 5L beakers, and have stepped starters several times, but didn't get my yeast until today. I'm going to be using 1 smack pack and my pitch calc says I need about 395B cells. I can achieve this by a 4.25L starter or step it with two, 2L starters. In the essence of time, I would just like to do the 4.25L; however, I'm not sure if this would have any detrimental impacts or not....I understand that they say one smack pack is good for 5 gallsons..yada yada yada, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with what I want to do.

I would just make the large starte but use a gravity of say perhaps 1.020-1.030 so you don't stress out an already less viable yeast strain.

ImO it's far better than completely under pitching the beer

Back