Step Mash Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know that this has been discussed ad nauseum before, but I'm considering Jamil's witbier. It has about 40% of the grist as flaked wheat and he recommends 122 for 15 min, then a 15 minute increase to 154 then hold there until conversion is complete.

I realize that step mashes are usually unnecessary with today's malts, but will I need one with 40% unmalted wheat? Are there any downsides?

I would do a double infusion at about 1 qt/lb to bring me to 122, then enough near boiling water to bring the temp to 154 for 45 min or so. Does that sound about right?

With Beersmith the calculations look pretty straightforward. Anything to look out for?

Thanks

I've never used unmalted wheat so I can tell you on that one. Last time I did a step mash, I kept a pitcher of ice water handy and boiled a quart of extra water just in case. Turns out I needed the ice water. BeerSmith's calculations were off by a hair.

Back