Step feed logic test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkeletorMob

Reaction score
I'm scaling up a recipe to 3 gallons, and plan to use white labs San Diego high gravity yeast (liquid pack) to try it out. Now the packages asks for gravity over 1.070 suggesting starter. I'm planning just over 3lbs per gallon honey @ 10 lbs per 3 gallon. Which gives me a Rough estimate at 1.1. My thought is to mix 2 gallons @ 1.070 (estimate 4lbs honey) or slightly higher let it roast and aerate a few days (or more depending on ferment) and the drop it into the 3 gallon with a gallon must mixed with the rest of the honey (<6lbs honey). Is this logical or probably to abrupt? Adjuncts would only be vannila beans, tea of cinnamon+ allspice, and raisins. Or being a high gravity tolerant yeast should I just mix the must and moniter health carefully? Or should I do a 1 liter starter with the whole packet of yeast @ the planned gravity and mix the 3 gallons next weekend or so? Any thoughts here will help, thanks in advance.

Or run something like one gallon @ 1.5lbs honey to one gallon @ 3lbs honey to one gallon @ 5.5 lbs honey. I think that almost sounds better as a step feed...

I suppose the point of buying the high gravity yeast was to examine the limits of high gravity, but then again why waste or walk myself into failure, hence brainstorm :)

Back