Step Brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ1

Reaction score
Any thoughts/advice on this... I will soon be upgrading to a 14.5 gallon conical fermenter. I will brew a 6 gallon 1.106 OG batch one day, pitch to the fermenter with a healthy starter, then brew another 6 gallon 1.106 OG batch the next day and add it on top of the first batch. Thanks.

P.S.
I will oxygenate the first batch; should I/do I need to oxygenate the second batch?

It's good to oxygenate big beers like that twice, the second time being usually between 12 and 18 hours after pitching. So if you have them tht close together, i actually think it would be a good thing. I think most people would recommend adding the second batch at or before 18 hours after pitching and oxygenate all of it. Too much later than that and you might get some staling/oxidation flavors.

Sounds anal maybe, but if you're spending that much money on a high gravity beer, I would be anal about it! Just brewed 10G of imperial stout at 1.100 yesterday, myself. I decoded to forego he extra shot of oxygen... might have had something to do with running out of oxygen.... Good luck!

Thanks for the input! My instincts were to re-oxygenate second batch,too. Let me know how your new brew progresses.

Thanks... I'm gonna do 1/2 Lb Amber DME to 1 quart water on day one. Then on day two I'll add another 1/2 Lb DME to 1 quart water to step up. I'll cold crash on day three, remove most of the wort/beer and pitch on day four to the first 6 gallon batch. I figure the yeast then will multiply some more until I add the second 6 gallon batch. Do you think it's a good formula?

P.S.
I'm really curious about your Whiskey Barrel Aged Old Ale... what was the OG, the FG, and how long in the primary and how long in the barrel? And, of course, have you sipped it yet!
I'm a big fan of North Coast's Old Stock Ale and Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo. My next upgrade will be getting a virgin, charred 5L oak barrel, and steep/condition it with 12% ABV diluted grain alcohol before it's first old ale. I'm striving to achieve an all ale (no whiskey) flavor like the Stingo.

The old ale was mixed with a DFH 90 minute clone, to make a DFH burton baton clone. I guess I haven't updated in a whole, because its been in the bottle for like 18 months!

Og was 1.088, finished at 1.011. I oaked it with oak cubes, not a barrel, and I don't remember at the moment how much I used but I overdid it a bit. Also the yeast pooped out and I didn't add extra at bottling, so it never carbed completely. Lesson learned!

But basically I made 3G of an English barley wine with molasses, and 3G of a DFH 90 minute clone, combined them into 5G secondary with 1-2oz of oak.

Back