step bit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planenut

Reaction score
I have the harbor freight step bit and plan on drilling my new 15 gallon SS pot.

1. Do I just center punch and use the step bit or does it need a small hole from a regular drill bit as a starter?

2. What size do I need to drill for the weldless fitting from Bargain fittings?

Thanks

Dunno about the size... maybe dont drill it until you get the fitting?

I never center punch or pre drill mine... seems to work nice.

I'll probably center punch or I think it will "walk" on me as this stainless is pretty slippery.

I"ve got the fitting already but no instructions. Guess I was being too lazy to measure and looking for reassurance... :)

Thanks

I center punch mine too keep the bit (harbor freight) from drifting and drill to about 13/16" or just shy of that. I've got them to thread in nicely and just a matter of cleaning up the burrs and install it.

If you have questions, PM me and I'll be glad to help.

Howto is here
Bargain Fittings

I would recommend using a hole saw instead of a step bit. I have tried both and the step bit was a PITA. Big time. It gets stuck over and over and over again. With the hole saw I could drill a clean hole in about a minute with my drill at about 100rpm. Always center punch.

For best results always center punch. If you don't have the fitting in hand, why not wait till you do to get the right size hole. Seems to me that without the fitting, the hole isn't going to do you much good.

A+ on the step bit, you never see the guys from O.C.Choppers using a hole saw

Step bit FTW, i've drilled about 6 holes so far with my step bit and it always cuts perfect and makes almost a burrless hole. I use olive oil for lubing the bit.

The smaller 7/8" max step bit from harbor freight has always done great for me, I center punch to keep it from walking, but you may not need to if using a drill press (Highly recommended).

I drilled mine all the way out to 7/8" and they work fine, though I suppose if you can thread in the fitting it may give you a better seal.

I always center punch, drill a pilot hole, and then use the step bits. Go slow, lube often, and slow down if you see smoke.

Where did you find a drill press big enough for a keg to fit in?

"A+ on the step bit, you never see the guys from O.C.Choppers using a hole saw"

That may be the case at occ but in my garage a hole saw works extremely well. I get a clean hole every time. and the hole saw I bought costs about $4 vs. a $15 step bit.

I was told that you have to worry about rusting when you use a hole saw because some the drill bit is "pushed" into the stainless. It then rusts.

Have any of you hole saw guys had this issue?

Wherever you like really, typicall brewers install a pick-up tube inside the kettle or keg, it really doesnt matter to a large degree as long as it is close to the bottom.

Back