Stein beer tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makomachine

Reaction score
So I've got a fancy new electric, fully automated, brew toy and what have I been thinking about? Stein beer. I want to plan a primitive brew session - using locally grown ingredients, a campfire, and stones for a stein beer. This will be a holiday brew session with my son in law who introduced me to brewing - so have plenty of time for preparation. Anyone have any guidance and advice to share on the process? Looking for recipes, what types of stones to use, safety advice, process, etc.

I got inspired by episode #8 of BYOB-TV and the Kings Coolship episode of brewing tv regarding wild yeast.

http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/june-11/BYOB-TV--Episode-8-123764604.html

Appreciate guidance from anyone that has done this before!

Thanks for the video as that gives me alternative to consider. Do the full boil with rocks or just a secondary boil. I was concerned about the number of rocks needed to maintain a boil for 60 minutes and the secondary boil alleviates that concern - but - isn't as primitive as I was wanting. The idea is to brew like I would if armageddon, zombie apocalypse, etc happened. We'll see where we end up.

Granite rocks is what they were using, so that at least answers that question!

I want to do this at some point too. Check out this BYO article. I think there might be a couple good threads on this forum but I don't have links handy.

Granite shatters when it gets really hot. Which is to say, it can shatter. Check with your local college geologist. They are notorious booze hounds.

Check out the whales steinbier video on my channel. Not 100% primitive, but more than most.

Thanks Bobby - very helpful insights. How did it turn out and what yeast did you pitch? Any problems with bugs in your barrel? Given you boiled in it, would think you'd be ok, but curious to see how the final product came out.

Back