Steeping / Mashing Oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smells like Christmas. :)

Sorry for the delay in my reply.
the hope is the oat “milk” (goopy starch really) won’t ferment and just make a Thickums McThicboi spiced cider. But I am also now curious about straight up fermented oat milk… like, what how would you classify that? And would amylase be needed?

Store bought oat milk!?? Now now, let’s not use common sense here. It gives me gas.

The brew is still fermenting btw. Just bubbling and fizzing away like a friggin’ jacuzzi occupied by a dude who raided a Taco Bell for lunch. All of my brews this winter have taken waaaaay longer that in the summer so I expect that this sucker will ferment for at least another 2 - 3 weeks.

Unfortunately, I think you're going to find that it will ferment, and the solids will eventually settle out - probably won't have as thick a mouthfeel as you're wanting, but I think should give some noticeable body.

Slavic countries have a fermented probiotic drink called Kvass, which is oats fermented in water, with some sugar and sometimes dried fruits and spices. But it is typically very low ABV

Kvassyder?

welp...."Strong Kvass" has been added to my "to do" list, in any case, because it is sounding (potentially) delicious

Update:

Life happened. Lots of things flipping upside down and lots of things put on hold.
The brew sat in my fridge for months while we got life back on track. It was underwhelming but drinkable and it was a fun experiment.

Thanks everyone for the help on this!

Next in the que is finding a mead and a graf recipe I really like.

Update:

Life happened. Lots of things flipping upside down and lots of things put on hold.
The brew sat in my fridge for months while we got life back on track. It was underwhelming but drinkable and it was a fun experiment.

Thanks everyone for the help on this!

Next in the que is finding a mead and a graf recipe I really like.

How was the head retention, if carbed at all? Was thinking about how to incorporate some oats (probably steeped) into an extract pumpkin beer brew in the future. Like you, not worrying about converting starches.

Back