steeping error (quick help!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaKid

Reaction score
I am currently brewing my first batch and while steeping the grain i had a problem with my temp gauge and the pot got up to 186 and im suppose to steep at 155 i turned the burner off and am letting it get back down to 155 before i fire it back up on low. Was this the right move?

Also, since i didnt have any homebrew lying around to drink while i brew i was forced to drink some of my roommates natural light, will this have a negative impact on my brew? j/k

You can relax... your beer will be fine. The only potential problem with high steeping temperatures is extracting tannins (giving a puckery taste) from the grains, but 186 for a few minutes shouldn't be a big deal and shouldn't have a big impact on your beer.

Keep on brewing!

BTW, what are you brewing?

-steve

Let's just blame this on the natural light! You did the right thing, the hot water may have extracted a few tannins but don't worry it's probably not going to be noticable. The beer will turn out just fine.

thanks for the reassurance guys, i am brewing a honey amber kit from midwest supplies. I look at this brew as my trail run or practice. next week im gonna brew a pumpkin ale and thats the big game im practicing for, i want it to be good. but hey what other hobby can you practice at and end up with 5 gallons of beer!

LouisianaKid said:
thanks for the reassurance guys, i am brewing a honey amber kit from midwest supplies. I look at this brew as my trail run or practice. next week im gonna brew a pumpkin ale and thats the big game im practicing for, i want it to be good. but hey what other hobby can you practice at and end up with 5 gallons of beer!

I just bottled that same kit. I think I did the same thing you did (temp too high) and the result was (I think) a little more bitterness and a darker color. It's darker than most commercial ambers I've had. Tastes good though! Can't wait till they start getting some carbonation! Mine landed quickly (two weeks @72F) at a FG of 1.004 and about 5.8% ABV. I might suggest adding a bit of maltodextrin if you want some body on this...It would have made a nice improvement on mine. Of course I didn't find out about that until after I bottled. Lesson learned...

what is this maltodextrin you speak of?how does it work? what does it do (more body?)? and when do you add it?

I not exactly sure. I think some of the more experienced brewers here could tell you. But I'm pretty sure to add it before you bottle would require that you add it to your priming sugar and dissolve it in the boiled water and mix in your bottling bucket. Maltodextrin adds body and head, but will not ferment so it will not contribute to the priming sugars cause. Also lactose can be added in the same manner to increase sweetness with non-fermentable sugars.

As for how much to add... I don't really know, depends on how much you want to thicken or sweeten it. I will be experimenting with this when I bottle my Holiday Ale in a few weeks...

Back