Steeling grains.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

907_fellow

Reaction score
So I just read threw some threads and think I might be on to something here. I am doing extract batches, full 6.5 gallon boils in a keggle. Normally, I fill the keggle up to 6.5 gallons, throw the specialty grains in, bring up to 155 degree F and steep for 30 min. After reading the information, I think I could improve my beer by steeping in like 1 gallon, then adding the additional 5.5 gallons after steeping. Is this correct?

Steeping, no. If you were mashing you would want to use the smaller volume of water.

I think It might be the same principle though. I read a byo article on the forum about "10 ways to improve your extract batch". Number 5 was this...

In order to get the colors and flavors you want from your specialty grains, without extracting excess tannins, you need to do one of two things — either steep in a small amount of water or in weak wort. A small amount of water means 1–3 qts. of water per pound of grains (2.1–6.3 L/kg). If you steep in a larger volume than that, add malt extract until the specific gravity is over 1.010 before adding the grains. And finally, rinse with a very small amount of water — 0.5–1 qts. of water per pound of grain steeped (1–2 L/kg) works well (see “Steeping,” in the May–June 2005 issue of BYO for more on this topic).

In extract brewing, the extract manufacturer collects the wort and concentrates it. When the wort is concentrated into extract, some volatile compounds are lost. To brew the best extract beer possible, you need a way to replace at least a portion of them. The simplest way to do this is to make some wort yourself by doing a partial mash in your brewpot.

To do this, add some 2-row pale malt to your recipe. For every pound (0.45 kg) of pale malt, subtract 0.53 lbs. (0.24 kg) of dried malt extract or 0.73 lbs. (0.33 kg) liquid malt extract. When making a 5-gallon (19-L) extract beer, I usually shoot for “steeping” a total of around 2–2.5 lbs. (0.91–1.1 kg) of grains, including base malt and specialty grains. Steep this liquid in 1.5–
2 qts. of water per pound of grain (3.2–4.2 L/kg) at 148–158 °F (64–70 °C) for 45–60 minutes. After increasing your boil volume, I feel that doing small partial mashes — which are really just glorified grain steeps — is the technique that will help extract brewers brew better beer. Note that partial mash wort is also typically more fermentable than that of malt extract, which can help if your beers consistently finish at a high final gravity.

If you're using base malt, then you're mashing, and yes in this case you would use less water.

So in this example, substituting 1.5 lbs of LME for 2 pounds of 2 row (added during steeping grains pre-boil) would be considered mashing? Does that then take the brew to a designation of partial mash?

I don't think I that any kind of malt extract contains the enzymes necessary for mashing. How would this be a partial mash?

EDIT: I definitely misread the above post. Derp

I don't think I that any kind of malt extract contains the enzymes necessary for mashing. How would this be a partial mash?

Extract contains no enzymes. Partial mashing uses a small amount of base grains.

Sorry I'm new to this game so forgive my stubbornness.

So for my next 5 gallon extract batch, lets say there is 1 lb specialty grains and 6 lbs LME in my extract kit. In theory, to produce better beer, I could substitute .75lbs of the LME and replace that with an additional 1lb of 2 row added to my specialty grains? And steep this (my specialty grains and 2 row) in about 4 quarts of water? I would then add this to my ~5.5 gallons of water in my keggle and begin boil?

Sorry I'm new to this game so forgive my stubbornness.

So for my next 5 gallon extract batch, lets say there is 1 lb specialty grains and 6 lbs LME in my extract kit. In theory, to produce better beer, I could substitute .75lbs of the LME and replace that with an additional 1lb of 2 row added to my specialty grains? And steep this (my specialty grains and 2 row) in about 4 quarts of water? I would then add this to my ~5.5 gallons of water in my keggle and begin boil?

Yes, you would be performing a partial mash, but mashing usually takes 45-60 minutes for conversion to take place instead of the 30 minutes used for steeping grains.

Ok so go for 60 instead of 30. Seems simple enough. And the 2 row is just simply added to the grain bag with my specialty grains? Then after 60 min, just dump in my room temp 5.5 gallons and proceed?

Ok so go for 60 instead of 30. Seems simple enough. And the 2 row is just simply added to the grain bag with my specialty grains? Then after 60 min, just dump in my room temp 5.5 gallons and proceed?

Well, it needs to be boiled so do the mash first, then add it and do your 60 minute boil with the rest of the ingredients.

Ok sweet. I might have to try this

That's what I wasn't trying to say, just didnt do a good job of explaining it.

Back