Steel Reserve - High Gravity Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FEARDIZ

Reaction score
So the local 'warm beer' store ( they always had warm beer in the coolers ) moved to a new location.. bigger and better. They had cans of Steel Reserve - High Gravity Lager .. Never heard of it, gave it a try. Tastes like !@#$ I dumped it out.
YUK

It's f'ing malt liquor, dude. Like, Colt 45 or Old English or Private Stock, only much worse. Back when I used to drink 40's, I tried it once. It gave me an asthma attack.

Why exactly did you buy that? Did you not realize it was MALT LIKKA?

Its a wonder that anyone drinks this. This was big when I was in high school. Cheap and high alcohol, plus we could only find it in 16oz cans at the time I think.

"MALT LIKKA, GATZ U DRUNKA KWIKA"
PS, I was throwing gang signs the entire time I was writing this lol

"MALT LIKKA, GATZ U DRUNKA KWIKA"
PS, I was throwing gang signs the entire time I was writing this lol

I believe the old Ice Cube lyric goes a little something like this...

...and it'll put hair on your chest; in the black can, why don't ya grab a six pack and...get your girl in the mood quicka...get your jimmy thicka...with st ides malt likka.

CLASSIC! :tank:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes!!!great recall on that evan! I was thinking about gangsta rap, grills and cheap bling, then I remembered that I am white.

Always keep a little good stuff around for guests:

secretsanta2.jpg

I didn't know it was 'junk' .. never heard of it, had high alcohol, so thought I'd see what it was about..
leson learned.
now to try the Bud cameltoe

i drank that camo stuff once... it was bad.
the best ghetto fab beer i ever had came in a tall boy can, and it had graffitti on the label, and was claiming to be a barley wine. i had two of them and blacked out and ended up falling face first into a pile of snow on st patty's day
oh Philly i miss you

I am a great fan of Old English. Another cook and I used to drink those when I was 16 and just started cooking. 2 of those apiece and we had trouble closing the restaurant. lol

so granted, steel reserve is terrible and everything, but does anyone know of a steel reserve knock-off recipe or a malt-liquor recipe. I know a bottom-fermenting yeast would be necessary

In the OP's defense, Steel Reserve 211 does not say "malt liquor" anywhere on it, only "high gravity lager." I can see how that would be misleading to anyone who had never heard of it. However, it has a very high 8.1% ABV and is usually found in the company of Schlitz, Mickey's, Country Club, King Cobra, Hurricane, Colt 45, Natural Ice, and the like(often in 32 and 40oz bottles), so that should be clue. Steel is one of the worse-tasting malt liquors I've had, but nowhere near as bad as Camo 900.

Back