Steel or Stainless at these prices? How much harder to weld SS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twang

Reaction score
I'm looking at the steel to purchase for my 1 tier.
I can get 2"x 2"x 0.250" square tubing for $40 each at 20' per joint.

or

Two pieces of 2"x2"x3/16"x20' stainless steel square tubing. $100 per 20'.

I've never welded before but don't think I'll have a problem with 'regular' steel.
Is it a lot more difficult to weld stainless steel with a MIG like this?

I can't say I have any knowledge of welding - but I'd like to ask, where can you find the steel bar you want to use?

You can weld stainless with that welder, if you use shielding gas and the right wire. Practice some first, of course because your welding will improve as you go. Do the parts you won't see first.

The machine in the picture will not handle quarter inch. Top end for mild steel is 3/16 with a flux core wire so I think it may be pushing it to weld stainless 3/16". If you do multi passes with a tri mixture gas Helium/argon/carbon dioxide, it will work. Were long welding sleeves if you dont want a burn, stainless will burn the crap out of you.

If your willing to buy a welder, you should try and look beyond this project. It will be sitting in your shop waiting to be used after you build your stand. IMO you don't want to under buy the machine.

I would not use that welder to weld anything more then 1/8" max on a single pass. If you bevel the joint you could weld heavier material. You run the risk of it not being as strong, due to indications in the weld bead itself from multiple passes. Especially if you use the flux core wire. A lot of crap on those welds. Again, this is just future reference info for the unit.

Then there is the duty cycle of this welder. It is only rated at 20%. That means you get to weld for 2 minuets out of a ten minuet block. You won't need to worry about that on this build or most other builds for the weekend warrior. Just something to think about.

You asked if it would work and I wrote you a book. Sorry about that. Yes that unit will weld SS as well as mild steel. BUT, it wont weld the 1/4" thickness you want to use. It also wont weld the SS without a bottle. So you now need to buy a bottle for the welder, since the one in your link comes with a regulator.

Just for kicks. Here is the owners manual for that welder.
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/navigator/im/im756.pdf

Latest posts

Back