Steel for aluminium CO2 tank exchange?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpaulr

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to exchange a steel CO2 tank for an Aluminium one? Local places want to charge me $80-$120 for a "new"* aluminium tank, but I can get a steel tank online for $70 (includes shipping). All the local places do tank exchanges anyways so I'd just swap it out here for another tank and was hoping to get a lighter aluminium tank instead of the heavy steel. Has anyone else tried this?

*: New to me, but likely an old tank.

The place I get CO2 refills doesn't really care if it's steel or AL. A 5-lb tank is a 5-lb tank.

Have you tried just picking up a used tank from your CO2 supplier? I got on of mine for $50 filled. I can either swap it or get it refilled.

The place I get CO2 refills doesn't really care if it's steel or AL. A 5-lb tank is a 5-lb tank.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but wanted to see if anyone had any experience/problems with this sort of thing. I've only ever gotten AL tanks for AL tanks there.

Have you tried just picking up a used tank from your CO2 supplier? I got on of mine for $50 filled. I can either swap it or get it refilled.

I asked them for the price of a cylinder and they quoted me ~$120 for a 10 lbs. Ironically, this is actually the most expensive price for a cylinder I've seen anywhere, but they have the cheapest exchanges. (Maybe it's not ironic - they have to make money somewhere and maybe it's on cylinders and not exchanges?) To be honest, I didn't specify "new" or "used", but considering I was getting an exchange at the time I figured it would just be used.

I swapped a 20# steel for Aluminum at my local place. Told them rust was forming on bottom from moisture exposure. Much lighter too. Bought original on Ebay used. My shop does swaps, not refills. Didn't seem to bother them. The aluminum one I got looked brand new.

I swapped a 20# steel for Aluminum at my local place. Told them rust was forming on bottom from moisture exposure. Much lighter too. Bought original on Ebay used. My shop does swaps, not refills. Didn't seem to bother them. The aluminum one I got looked brand new.

That sounds good. I didn't think it would be an issue with a swap.

I went ahead an ordered one - I'll report back with the results for posterity. ;-)

I asked them for the price of a cylinder and they quoted me ~$120 for a 10 lbs. Ironically, this is actually the most expensive price for a cylinder I've seen anywhere, but they have the cheapest exchanges. (Maybe it's not ironic - they have to make money somewhere and maybe it's on cylinders and not exchanges?) To be honest, I didn't specify "new" or "used", but considering I was getting an exchange at the time I figured it would just be used.

That's a crazy price. I'd look for a new shop. Are you going to welding shops?

The only issue I have with my place is that whoever has the cylinder when it expires has to trade it in and pay for the hydro test ($15). I got a cylinder from them that was about 6-months away from expiring. I didn't notice. I got stuck paying for the recertification. So, check the date on any tank you buy.

My first tank was steel. I didn't ask for anything specific when I swapped it at Airgas, but they gave me aluminum. It's been aluminum every swap since then without them seeing my tank before and without having to ask.

That's a crazy price. I'd look for a new shop. Are you going to welding shops?

This is at an Airgas branch in Tacoma, WA. They definitely had the most expensive tank prices locally. I ending up getting a 10 lbs steel tank from online.

Airgas seems to have the cheapest exchanges though @ $13 / 5 lbs (after fees, tax, etc.). All the LHBS and welding stores in the area are ~$15+. One of the homebrew store owners even told me that's where he gets his tanks exchanged for the store. It's not a huge difference, but the Airgas is right by the Costco so I'm there often enough anyway that it's worth it to save the $2 per exchange. They quoted their 10 lbs price at $15 so the upgrade should pay itself back quickly. I contemplated the 20 lbs-er, but the smaller tank will just be easier to handle and transport. I am thinking about getting a 20 or 50 lbs siphon tank to do my own fills of the smaller tanks in the future anyways so I can get the economy of scale discount on the gas.

One thing to consider since you are in Washington too is all the pot grower supply stores seem to be swapping 20 and 50 pound CO2 tanks now and advertising like crazy on Craig's List. Also in my limited experience Central Welding Supply is pretty casual about swapping steel and aluminum tanks.

One thing to consider since you are in Washington too is all the pot grower supply stores seem to be swapping 20 and 50 pound CO2 tanks now and advertising like crazy on Craig's List.

Thanks - I didn't even think about that. Just did a search and saw two 20 lbs tanks for $10 each - for that price it seems a bit sketchy though...

Also in my limited experience Central Welding Supply is pretty casual about swapping steel and aluminum tanks.

Cool. I used to get my fills at Pacific Welding, a subsidiary of Central. Didn't check tanks prices there though.

Back