Steam cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxdefranco

Reaction score
Perhaps this is a disastrous idea. I've looked all over the net but can't find any information...has anyone ever heard of steam style cider? I really don't know much about steam beer (except that anchor steam makes some damn tasty beer) - what it contributes to the flavor, how it changes things, etc, except that it's using lager yeast at ale temperatures.

So...could i use a lager yeast with apple juice and ferment at a normal temp? any ideas how this would come out?

I asked a similar question and from the responses it seems I am the first person in the world to do this. Mine is just finishing the bottle carb process, so my sampling has been limited thus far.

I made two batches of cider, both at ~ the same temp one with notty, one with saflager.

This is a good time to employ the ye olde scientific method using a small batch...

Observation: lager at ale temps produced a good beer in the form of anchor steam
Hypothesis: I think this process could make a good/interesting cider
Experiment: Create the cider using lager yeast at ale temps
Conclusion: Taste it, and report the results. Is it good, is it bad. Over time do the results change? Etc.

Iterate over the above 4 steps...

Latest posts

Back