Steam blue crabs over boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfordie

Reaction score
So yeah im thinking of steaming a 1/2 bushel of blue crabs over top my boil kettle. I have a steamer basket that I would suspend just over wort. I would boil as I normally would adding the crabs about 30 mins into the boil. The crabs would steam about 20 mins or so, I'd remove the steamer basket and boil another 10 to 15 mins. Is this crazy? I couldn't find much on the topic.

I don't think I'd personally attempt it just based on my love for old bay covered crabs. Not sure hown that flavor would benefit a beer. Maybe a chocolate chile stout?

Also the crabs tend to impart flavor to the water below through drips. Ever notice how the water clouds up a bit?

When I had the boiler for my brewery installed a guy who came out to bid on the job said "Are you doing crabs?" to which I pretty much said "Huh? I'm doing beer. Why?" He answered that he was part owner of a crab house and that they used the same boiler. The seed was planted! I got a culinary steam filter and have been doing crabs and sausages ever since. Steaming is a great way to do crabs for sure. I am not sure about the effect of the residue from the crabs and Old Bay on beer, however. I use and old Volrath kettle for steaming. Just set the crabs on the false bottom and admit the steam through the drain beneath. Only takes a few minutes.

Now it appears on more careful reading that you are thinking of using the steam from boiling wort to cook the crabs. That would doubtless impart a nice beer flavor to the crabs and a nice crab flavor to the wort (juices and Old Bay dripping down). I don't think the latter would be a very good idea. I'm voting for 'crazy'.

yeah im looking to get some flavor off the crabs as they are being steamed. My process would be to place crabs in steamer basket spice them with JO and old bay then place basket above boil kettle.

I do crab legs on New Years Eve in mine. I also did two bushels of crabs this summer and they were great. My cousin does corn/clams/potatoes every 4th of July in his SS kettle too. Always works great.

it's stainless(or aluminum), which as far as i know aren't very good at absorbing things, so go for it.

I've done lobsters and clams many times and besides a through cleaning, have had no issues.

It appears some are mistaking your post as asking whether it is OK to use the pot. Yes it is. I do lobsters every year in my pot. Just wash it well. It still smelled a bit of lobster when I brewed but that did not transfer to the wort.

The OP is talking of using the steam from the wort to cook the crabs. And allow the condensed steam to return to the wort along with whatever comes from the crabs and the Old Bay seasoning. I would surely like to try the beer when done.

Ha, you're right. Edit prior response to be unless you want crab flavored beer then this may be unadvisable. If you want crabby beer they carry on!

Hanging a basket of live crabs "over" a brew pot will likely not provide the heat needed to cook the crabs.

When one typically steams crabs, the pot is sealed with a lid and the crabs get a rather intense steaming and cooking.

That said, please try it and report back :)

As a Marylander who has steamed many crabs and brewed plenty of beer I think it's not a great idea but it's worth a try. The beer will certainly be unique maybe not good but unique. My only concern is concentrating the steam and heat enough to to properly steam the crabs to eliminate the possibility of foodbourne illness with the crabs.
Good luck and let us know how the beer tastes.

Maybe try steaming some crabs. Reserve some of the steamer water and try adding some to a smaller batch, or chill the crab water and add a bit to a finished beer, rather than risk a bushel and a batch of beer....

I like the idea of spicy beer, that is on my brew list, though I'm not quite sure which if any specialty malts would go with it.

As for the crab drippings wouldn't that be kind of oily? To my understanding this is why pumpkin seeds or coffee beans don't work well in a mash, maybe it will just separate out and attach to the tun?

One thing I kind of wonder, is why don't hops get used in cooking? I mean why not marinate the crabs in a little wort?

here's an idea: steam some crabs & taste the water afterwards.

then ask yourself if that is a flavor you want in your finished beer

Please do it! I so want to try this beer and I really wish I had some Maryland blue crabs to pick this afternoon. Please keep us posted.

Back