"Steam Beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I've never been very inclined to follow style guidelines. Very few of my beers could be clearly identified with a given style...... and that's fine with me. My American lagers have much higher IBUs and a very intense hop presence (flavor and aroma), my stouts use Nelson Sauvin, my IPAs tend to run in the mid 50's instead of the popular range of 80+, my sour saison, which is great, is very lightly soured, and lacks the pucker factor (by design).

I have a lager fermenter sitting here empty except for the yeast cake, and I don't have lager fermentation temps, so I plan to "steam" a lager. The yeast isn't California Common, it's 34/70. The brew will consist of 44% dark Munich (20), 22% wheat, 11% rye, and the remainder ordinary table sugar added at the start of the boil so it will invert.
I have half a pound of the Falconer's Flight hop blend (which I haven't tried yet), and I intend to use it exclusively, some at 45 min, some at 5 min, and some in a 160F whirlpool for 15 min, yielding an IBU number of about 46. SRM 10.6 ABV should hit about 5.5

Clearly this is not a classic "Steam Beer" in any respect except the fermentation temp, which will range from 60F to 65F (seasonal ambient in my pump house).

What I am trying to find out is what a lager yeast does fermented at these temps..... I will pitch onto the entire yeast cake......... which should cut the reproduction phase very short, and minimize off flavors.

I want light body, crisp and refreshing, with intense hop flavor and aroma.

Thoughts anybody??

H.W.

I used the bud lager yeast once for a Cal. Common, it turned out well but I think we did ferment it pretty cool (55, maybe?). My advice would be to be prepared to do a diacetyl rest. Sounds like it will be interesting.

Also, I think the wyeast guy (Logsdon??) recommends 2278(?) for warm-fermented lagers. Search YouTube.

I used the bud lager yeast once for a Cal. Common, it turned out well but I think we did ferment it pretty cool (55, maybe?). My advice would be to be prepared to do a diacetyl rest. Sounds like it will be interesting.

What procedure to you recommend for the diacetyl rest?

H.W.

I've been wondering if part of the "steam" technique hinges on fermenting under pressure. Part of the lore is that when the casks were tapped after primary you could see steam venting from casks as they de-pressured. I have also heard rumors that some of the off flavors of warmer fermentation can be mitigated by fermenting under pressure. Rather than using a car boy, would you consider using an idle keg with the dip tube off set from the bottom and a spunding valve? Head to head with a non-pressurized at the same temp would be a fantastic experiment.

I would say when you think ferment is done, taste it. If it's buttery, leave it on the yeast for ~2 days at warm temp (~70). If you're priming & bottling, it's not crucial--you can always store the bottles warm for a week or two.

Also, I think the wyeast guy (Logsdon??) recommends 2278(?) for warm-fermented lagers. Search YouTube.

My thinking on this is to use what I have on hand......... My fermentables and hops for this brew add up to only $8, so it isn't an expensive experiment (2.5 gallon brew). I racked off this yeast cake yesterday and didn't wash the fermenter, so I should get a good strong start. I may ladle out some of the yeast cake before pouring the wort in.

My LHBS is 80 miles away and I haven't been there for a month, and chances are they wouldn't have 2278...........But next time I get there I'll pick up a package if they have one. I like doing lagers, and the temps this time of year are a bit too warm.

Here is their description of 2278:

Originating from the home of great Pilsners in the Czech Republic, this classic strain will finish dry and malty. It is the perfect choice for Bohemian-style Pilsners. Sulfur produced during fermentation can be reduced with warmer fermentation temperatures 58°F (14°C) and will dissipate with conditioning.

H.W.

I hear ya, w/r/t not following styles.

My experience with Falconer's Flight is that it kicks serious ass. It tastes like a jamba juice.

My heart might cry a little if it's muted by a malt-forward recipe. Given your rebelliousness, just figure out a worst-case scenario and try to avoid that.

It's gonna be tough to get a critique tho since "classic" styles are easier to crowd-source. Since this isn't "steam beer" at all, you'll get better advice if you ask about fermenting 2278 at ale temps.

Once your fermentation is under control, your malts/hops are rarely gonna make a bad beer.

There should really be a BJCP category for "kitchen sink beers" cuz everyone makes one at some point and it's kind of Iron Chef in its approach.

I hear ya, w/r/t not following styles.

My experience with Falconer's Flight is that it kicks serious ass. It tastes like a jamba juice.

My heart might cry a little if it's muted by a malt-forward recipe. Given your rebelliousness, just figure out a worst-case scenario and try to avoid that.

It's gonna be tough to get a critique tho since "classic" styles are easier to crowd-source. Since this isn't "steam beer" at all, you'll get better advice if you ask about fermenting 2278 at ale temps.

Once your fermentation is under control, your malts/hops are rarely gonna make a bad beer.

There should really be a BJCP category for "kitchen sink beers" cuz everyone makes one at some point and it's kind of Iron Chef in its approach.

I'm not using 2278, I'm using Fermentis Safelager 34/70. It is technically a "steam beer" in that it is fermented with a lager yeast at warm temps......... It is NOT a "steam beer" if you use BJCP guidelines...... which are meaningless except for competition in trying to meet well defined styles. All my beers fit the "kitchen sink" category. I brew with what I have and what I take a notion to try...... I've rarely made a bad beer. I'm on brew 81 today, since a year ago February, and in that time I've had two "dumpers", both of which I could probably have saved knowing what I know today.

I'll pitch in the 50's onto a full yeast cake from a previous brew, and the ambient temps where I'm fermenting will range from 60-65.... which really is not extreme.

The only other blend I've tried was Zythos....... Which makes quite a good beer if not striking, it is well balanced, and makes a good foundation to build from with other hops.

H.W.

I found an interesting old patent involving steam beer which mentions pressures from 80-110 psi?!? I'm going to have to give the spunding valve a go on my next batch.

http://www.google.com/patents/US606113

I believe they are doing "barrel conditioning" to achieve the desired carbonation. The 80-100 PSI being the conditioning pressure, NOT the fermenting pressure. From what I understand the primary fermentation on steam beer was in large shallow open containers called cool ships where it initially was cooled down by evaporation, etc.

A friend of mine who operates a microbrewery ferments under 15 psi, and that results in very rapid fermentation........... about 1/3 to 1/2 the time required in a fermenter that isn't under pressure if I recall correctly. There is obvious advantage to fermenting under pressure......if time is important.

My "steam beer" went into the fermenter at about 60F........ according to my fermometer on the outside of the fermenter..... My heat gun showed the wort at 55. It's sitting at 60 deg ambient temp. It was racked onto the yeast cake at about noon today..... 4 hours ago. It isn't "percolating yet", but by morning it should be showing some action.

H.W.

Back