Steam Beer Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffny25

Reaction score
Hey, so I don't have the patience nor the facilities to make a proper lagered Pilsner. However, if i were to follow the same recipe but pitch with an ale yeast, how off would the final product be? I usually ferment around 65 F.

Thanks!
Geoff

It won't be the same as a lager, but it can get close. I'm in the same situation and for my Oktoberfest, I used the San Francisco Lager Yeast femented in the high 50s/low 60s. Properly trained judges have noticed that it hasn't been lagered (not as clean - you'll still get some ale flavors); then again, it has won 3 medals and I often get the comment that it is an authentic-tasting Oktoberfest. Point is, some will be able to tell but most won't. Give it a whirl!

I've used White Labs Kolsch yeast and produced beers that could pass for lagers without cold conditioning. On a related note, do not ferment a pilsener yeast at that high of a temp. Due to a temperature malfunction I did once and it was the worst beer I have ever made.

Back