Stc-1000+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys!
Ok, so I have pushed an additional change to the work branch.
I changed the SA (or setpoint alarm setting). I decided it was a too complicated, and not versatile or intuitive enough.

So, I changed this setting to be settable from -80.0 to 80.0 degF (or -40.0 to 40.0 degC, as if you guys care...). What this does, is that if this setting is positive, then it is the allowable setting, by how much the temperature is allowed to differ from the setpoint before the alarm goes off. For ex. say you set it at 5.0, then the alarm will sound if temperature is 5.0 degrees (or more) above OR below setpoint.
If the setting is negative, say -5.0 degrees, then the alarm will sound if the temperature IS NOT 5.0 degrees (or more) above OR below the setpoint.
The first case can be useful during fermentation, to warn if temperature is out of range. The second case can be useful to get a reminder once wort has reached pitching temp.

If it is set at 0.0, the alarm is completely disabled.

If the alarm is tripped, the buzzer will sound and the display will flash between current temperature and "SA" as an indication. It will not disengage the relays as the sensor failure alarm ("AL"), and the unit will still function as normal (only a bit more annoyingly).

Care will be needed in selecting the correct value to avoid tripping the alarm unnecessarily. Especially when running profiles, as the setpoint will change (and even more so without ramping or with steep ramps, as SP will change much).

Also, I have changes the name of "Pb" setting to "Pb2" as that seems clearer (enable probe 2).

The changes will invalidate EEPROM data (at least in the set menu) as I needed to move "SA" setting.

With this, I'm feeling pretty good about v1.06, I'll leave it in the work branch a little while and if I don't hear any complaints in a reasonable amount of time, I'll pull it to the master branch and make a release ;)

Oh yeah, and a small bonus as well, I know Will has put together an excellent spreadsheet for visualizing profiles, but sadly I never got it working in Libre Office. So, I have built a simple webpage (it is under the 'profile' folder).

So, yeah... Cheers!

//mats

Oh yeah, and a small bonus as well, I know Will has put together an excellent spreadsheet for visualizing profiles, but sadly I never got it working in Libre Office. So, I have built a simple webpage (it is under the 'profile' folder).

It works. Thank you!

Hi guys!

With this, I'm feeling pretty good about v1.06, I'll leave it in the work branch a little while and if I don't hear any complaints in a reasonable amount of time, I'll pull it to the master branch and make a release ;)

I was also successful flashing the work branch of 1.06 last night.

I built one of the $5 cheap ebay arduinos as mats laid out. My soldering skills are downright terrible, but it was successful - and I managed to flash successfully as well from my Mac.

Haven't had a chance to set up the STC-1000 in an installed state yet, but probably in the coming week I'll get to that.

Oh, and the webpage profiler is great! Thanks!

Cool! Thanks for that! It is always nice with feedback.
And please, do let me know your experience with 1.06 good or bad (that goes for all y'all that try it out). It really helps me out to build a better firmware for everyone :)
Thanks!

I just flashed my v1.03 to v1.06. I REALLY like the feel of the buttons now. On v1.03 it was difficult to press the button short enough to change the values by 0.1, but on v1.06 it's not a problem changing a value by 0.1. I tried out your web page as well. Very nice! I was thinking of making a Google Sheets version to hopefully remedy the fact not everyone uses MS Office, but don't know if i will now that there's another solution! :)

Anyway, I've got my Festbier ramping from 50F to 65F over the next 8 days, so I'll let you know if anything goes awry (if it's user error, I'll keep it to myself ;) ).

Thanks again for the great firmware!

Yes, I should add Matts, that I fermented a Maibock and a Martzen (Oktoberfest) in a refrigerator controlled using a temperature profile I entered using your firmware, and even pre-lagering they are both delicious!

Thank you for all you've done.

You really need to be wary of what you are buying. If it seems too good to be true, then it is.
They won't work for STC-1000+ though as you suspected. You need the exact hardware. The MCU and the schematic is completely different, even though the units may appear similar.
Use them as they are, sell them or scavenge them for parts if you like to tinker :)

Those are single stage temp controllers. A few years ago I bought some super cheap STC-looking controllers and they ended up being those single stage controllers (WH7016C I have the manual here). I sold 2 on HBT for cost (or lower, can't recall) and still have one to control a fan-only ferm chamber I have. They're ok for what they do (they do heating OR cooling, you have to set what mode the controller is in), but they sure aren't STC-1000s, and definitely not STC-1000+! Good luck! :mug:

EDIT: If you want to wire one up to use as a single stage, this is how it can be done: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/index85.html#post3961076

Thanks, I actually was looking at it, and I suspected it was single stage.

No sweat... I figured it was a long shot anyway.

Now They're free, so I'll just use them for something else... If they do a decent job, I'll use one for my kegerator

No problem. You may want to look into the rating of the relays. I think they're slightly lower than the STCs, so keep that in mind if you use it on a kegerator since they can draw a bit of current.

Did the photos and description match what you got? It sounds like you screwed the seller over, as you can't really say there is an "actual" STC-1000...there are multiple versions of it.

From the picture, it looks like a single-stage, but that's because I've had both units and know what to look for (notice only one set of connections for the load, dual-stage would have one for heating and one for cooling). To someone who hasn't had either, it looks close enough to an STC-1000 for easy confusion. No where does it say "single-stage" and the description itself says "STC 1000", which means it should have all the functionality as other STC-1000s, which a single-stage does not. I see nothing wrong at all with Swiller's actions. As alphaomega said, you really have to be careful with what you order and where you order it from...

I have a single stage controller for my kegerator. Since it only needs to get cold. But mine had an m as the first letter in the model number, if I remember correctly. Anyway imine is rated for 15amps.

Clearly... Because the title, "Digital STC-1000 All-Purpose Temperature Controller Thermostat With Sensor 110V" and the description, "heating and cooling control" and the fact that I emailed and got confirmation from the buyer it was a legitimate stc1000, was VERY clear that it WASN'T an stc1000. Regardless of the photo, the description and response I got from the seller was not what I received.

So I have no qualm keeping these and screwing him over. Thanks.

There is no such thing as a "legitimate" STC-1000, unfortunately. There are many versions and, to my knowledge, no way to determine which one was the original and which ones are copies. All we really know is that version 1.0 is the one that works for STC-1000+.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I haven't had any bugreports so far on v1.06, so I decided it was time for a proper release.
Cheers!

Alphaomega, I decided I wanted to use my first post on this forum to let you know how much I appreciate you sharing your talents and hard work with us. Love my STC 1000+. Thank you!

Is there a reason why nobody hasn't just developed a shield with terminal blocks relays and a screen on it? Seems like since we have to purchase an arduino to flash anyways we could just work off of the arduino.

(I'm not belittling what alpha has done at all. It's phenomenal work. Just a lot of risk in getting an sic that actually works. )

Is there a reason why nobody hasn't just developed a shield with terminal blocks relays and a screen on it? Seems like since we have to purchase an arduino to flash anyways we could just work off of the arduino.

(I'm not belittling what alpha has done at all. It's phenomenal work. Just a lot of risk in getting an sic that actually works. )

Look up brewpi.

BUt that would either require more DIY (soldering, etc.) or cost more than a STC1000

Quite a bit more. Although you can get a brewpi starter kit on amazon when you buy specific parts together for less than 35. But it doesn't include a screen

Well brewpis also require a pi. Sounds like alpha may have done some work to make that fact not true, but it just seems like there is a lot of wasted money on stc controllers that won't work. Screens and led displays are cheap.

The STC is very compact, comes in a complete ready-to-use package, tried and true hardware, cheap. It has a lot going for it as I see it.

Look up brewpi.

By all means do. Elco and mdma have done great work on brewpi.
It is a matter of preference. If you want graphs, have money to spend go brewpi. If you like a compact, autonomous and cheap controller then look at stc-1000/stc-1000+.
Quite frankly it is getting boring have to justify stc-1000+ against brew pi. I started stc-1000+ because I was pretty happy with stc-1000. I just wanted profiles (which brewpi had running on the pi anyway).
If you prefer brewpi over stc-1000+, then good for you.

Well brewpis also require a pi. Sounds like alpha may have done some work to make that fact not true, but it just seems like there is a lot of wasted money on stc controllers that won't work. Screens and led displays are cheap.

Will sells controllers on blackboxbrew.com. Flashed or unflashed, no need to waste money.

The STC is very compact, comes in a complete ready-to-use package, tried and true hardware, cheap. It has a lot going for it as I see it.

By all means do. Elco and mdma have done great work on brewpi.

It is a matter of preference. If you want graphs, have money to spend go brewpi. If you like a compact, autonomous and cheap controller then look at stc-1000/stc-1000+.

Quite frankly it is getting boring have to justify stc-1000+ against brew pi. I started stc-1000+ because I was pretty happy with stc-1000. I just wanted profiles (which brewpi had running on the pi anyway).

If you prefer brewpi over stc-1000+, then good for you.

Will sells controllers on blackboxbrew.com. Flashed or unflashed, no need to waste money.

I never meant to offend. And I appreciate your input on my questions. Just seems like half the posts on here are about the ability to obtain the correct STC. I've been following because I'm intrigued on the project. Haven't had a reason to check mine even since it's acting in single stage in my kegerator.

...Quite frankly it is getting boring have to justify stc-1000+ against brew pi. I started stc-1000+ because I was pretty happy with stc-1000. I just wanted profiles (which brewpi had running on the pi anyway).
If you prefer brewpi over stc-1000+, then good for you...

I understand you annoyance! Why do some people not understand the concept of building something to a set of design parameters - What you need it to do and nothing more.
The STC1000+ does what it set out to do - end of story - no justification needed :D

I apologize if I was overly harsh this morning (well it was morning here at least). I was in a bad mood, but that is no excuse.
However it is not the first time you bring up Brew Pi in this thread. Again it is an awesome project and I have nothing against it. But when you say you don't advocate one is better than the other, it don't feel that way to me.
If you you have a preference, then that is fine, I just don't really enjoy all the hard work I've done on this (for free) to be reduced to 'not quite as good as these other guys free work' in my own thread, because that was the feeling I got.
Well, maybe I'm just being whiny...

I use them both. Was just helping out the guy who seemed to be looking for something else.

What's the latest on confirmed dealers selling the 1.0 version? I bought my stc-1000 (before this project was around) off ebay, but it's a 1.1 version. I'd like to pick up a 1.0 and give this a shot.

What's the latest on confirmed dealers selling the 1.0 version? I bought my stc-1000 (before this project was around) off ebay, but it's a 1.1 version. I'd like to pick up a 1.0 and give this a shot.

9 posts above yours. There are no "confirmed" ebay or amazon sellers.

9 posts above yours. There are no "confirmed" ebay or amazon sellers.

I'd like to take the more frugal approach (blackboxbrew is sold out anyway). Assuming I can get my hands on a v1.0 unit, I'll be good to go. Was just wondering if there has been consistent luck with a specific amazon or ebay seller (or some other source for the stc-1000 unit only).

I'd like to take the more frugal approach (blackboxbrew is sold out anyway). Assuming I can get my hands on a v1.0 unit, I'll be good to go. Was just wondering if there has been consistent luck with a specific amazon or ebay seller (or some other source for the stc-1000 unit only).

I was successful purchasing 2 STC-1000 that were v1.0 from this Amazon seller on August 23rd (Seller is "City Digital" in case it doesn't carry through on the URL):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KVCPH2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I don't know if it'll continue to work, but it was worth the risk for my needs, and it paid off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to take the more frugal approach (blackboxbrew is sold out anyway).

The assembled controllers are out of stock but it looks like the flashed and unflashed stc-1000's are available. You can be frugal ordering from china, but you are taking a risk with any seller. None of them are consistent.

The assembled controllers are out of stock but it looks like the flashed and unflashed stc-1000's are available. You can be frugal ordering from china, but you are taking a risk with any seller. None of them are consistent.

Correct, I still have plenty of the flashed/flashable controllers available. Thanks.

Back