STC-1000, wiring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sancycling

Reaction score
Hello,
I've read quite a few threads on STC-1000 and how to wire it but I could not find an answer that I'm looking for.

I'm building a fermentation tub that will be controlled with an STC-1000. Temperatures will be changed with an aquarium heater and by circulating chilled water through a cooper spiral. An that part is easy for wiring.

Another thing that I want to add is a tiny recirculation pump that will make sure that the temperature in the tub is equal. And this needs to turn on when the heater is on and when the other water pump is on. I guess I should just run extra wires from the heat and cool to an outlet that controls that mini pump.

Would this work? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

This will do what you want - as long as the pump is indeed rated for 120VAC operation as previously mentioned.

The "Heater" and "Chiller" inputs are the outputs from the two STC-1000 (or any other dual-stage controller) relays; the neutral goes back to the input line cord; and the green safety wire should run from the pump case back to the line cord as well.

When the controller calls for "cold" the relay coil activates, switching the "cold" 120VAC lead on to the pump input via the normally open point. When the controller calls for "heat", the "heat" 120VAC lead is switched on to the pump via the normally closed point. If the controller is "idle" no power goes to the pump.

The B-side points are not used.

The DPDT 120VAC coil relay with contacts rated for 10A can be found pretty much everywhere for small $$, including here.

Cheers!

[edit] If the tiny pump was for 12VDC, replace the "pump" block with a 120VAC->12VDC wall wart of sufficient output current capability to handle the pump (plus some margin!), wire its inputs to the relay and neutral the same as the "pump" (there won't be a Safety Ground connection so omit that) and wire the wall wart 12VDC outputs to the corresponding pump inputs...

relay_for_pump.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for my late response.

It took me a while to understand what you were suggesting, mainly because I'm quite ignorant with electronics.

But I did some research and now I understand.

I'll see if I can get a relay locally that will work, else I'll get the one from amazon.

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Home Brew

Back