STC 1000 problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunsout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
my chest freezer wont turn off. just keeps going after hitting the target temp. looks like everything on the STC 1000 is going properly just wont stop. brew day today need some help. Thanks, adam

Need more info, and perhaps pics. If the STC knows when to kick on and you can see that it's in the 'off' mode for your keezer, then the probability seems to be that you've miswired it and it's just always hot. Pics of wiring?

Sent from my iPhone using the sweet Home Brew app, cuz I'm a ****** and I need everyone to know that I have an iPhone as if everyone else in the world doesn't have one.

Here's an extremely simple wiring diagram if that helps. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407074300.796440.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the sweet Home Brew app, cuz I'm a ****** and I need everyone to know that I have an iPhone as if everyone else in the world doesn't have one.

Do you hear the "cooling" relay click on and off? Test with a lightbulb, a battery with an LED, or multi meter.

Are the settings correct?

Has it ever worked correctly before or is this a new build? Did you remove the bridge from the receptacle?

Here's an extremely simple wiring diagram if that helps. View attachment 215320

Drawing reads 220VAC... yowsers!

Just ignore that, 120V AC should be used.

Diagram is fine otherwise, except it should be noted to remove or break the copper bridge from the "hot side" of the receptacle, where the Blue and Red wires connect.

If have used your controller before today, and it worked properly, you most likely have a bad controller or you have burnt up your cooling relay. Can you "reset" the controller by cycling the power, and does the freezer stop running after that?

Hate to tell you this, but those micro relays in the STC cannot handle large inductive loads (freezer compressor) for a long time, they will burnnup. I know this doesn't help you today, but adding a better relay for the cooling circuit will give you much better reliability and life time. I have built a couple controllers using the STC, what other trouble shooting have you been able to do?

IslandLizard, you hit on the problem right away! And I was being a negative Nancy. OP, hope your brew day is awesome. I have to wait until next weekend unfortunately.

Hope everything worked out for you. Again, if you have any other STC-1000 related questions feel free to ask, I have been using them for a while now.

Prost!

Appreciate it. first brew day there was a good learning curve but it appears I am making beer and my STC is working as advertised now. Thanks everyone.

Back