STC-1000 Probe Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewCrewKevin

Reaction score
So I actually got 2 STC-1000 controllers.

Hooked the first one up- got an EE error immediately. That means the probe is open or shorted. So I opened the second one up. Had it working great. Then I tried to feed it through the side of the freezer, and must have pulled too hard or something. Now that one displays EE also...

So it looks like I have 2 bad probes. I tried cutting off a couple inches of the second and twisting the wires up and re-wiring, and I'm still getting EE errors.

1. Is there a way to fix this? Any suggestions?
2 Do I need t oreplace the whole controller? It was 3rd party Amazon, so I need to get a refund and re-order.
3. Can I get cheap replacement probes anywhere?

I've only gotten that error once. After making sure they were back in good contact and restarted the unit it was back up and running. So yours just stays in EE mode?

I've looked for replacement probes with no real luck. Its most likely easier to just get a new one.

I had a bad unit right out of the box, refund or exchange asap. Ordered mine from Lerway on Amazon. Where did you get your problem units?

Be sure to only clamp the terminals down on the inner conductor of the probe wires. It's very easy to over-insert those small wires, which can result in clamping down on the outer insulation and a poor electrical connection.

EDIT: Provided the STC itself is not broken, you can replace the sensor.

There was a thread pointing to these thermistors.

They're the right type with the correct specs and should do the trick. You'll have to fabricate a thermowell or housing for them. A piece of copper or stainless tubing sealed with silicone caulk or JB Weld perhaps?

First I would do what was suggested above to make sure the probe is at fault. You can also test them with an ohm meter, they're like a resistor, except their value goes *down* when they get warmer.

I had a bad unit right out of the box, refund or exchange asap. Ordered mine from Lerway on Amazon. Where did you get your problem units?

Same vendor. Were they good about it? Did you end up getting a good one?

Maybe i an over inserting... I'll have to check that.

Sent from my XT901 using Home Brew mobile app

I dealt with Amazon, told them that I visually inspected the unit on arrival but that I didn't test it till well after the 30 day return limit. They allowed me to return for refund. I ordered a second from the same vendor & it was fine. I've heard of companies recycling returned products though.

So I tried them both several times again, no luck. I tried what Aouli suggested and pulled them out a C-hair so they weren't against the back of the terminal block, no luck.

I started the return through Amazon for 2 of them. I can't have them "exchanged" since its not supplied from Amazon, so I need to order 2 more, then wait for my refund on these 2...

ugh. Frustrating. I have a beer that's been in the fermenter for like 6 weeks now, and I really want to cold crash it! Oh well, I guess if this next round doesn't work, I'm just bottling as is.

1. Is there a way to fix this? Any suggestions?
2 Do I need t oreplace the whole controller? It was 3rd party Amazon, so I need to get a refund and re-order.
3. Can I get cheap replacement probes anywhere?

Do you have a multimeter? if yes - try to measure probe resistance. It should be around 10K Ohm. If it shows no connection - try to cut wires till you get something between 8-15 K Ohm.

If you have 10-15 KOhm resistor available - connect it instead of probe. If your controller is OK it should show some temperature.

I've got a ready to use probe from here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/360803345591
works fine.

So I tried them both several times again, no luck. I tried what Aouli suggested and pulled them out a C-hair so they weren't against the back of the terminal block, no luck.

I started the return through Amazon for 2 of them. I can't have them "exchanged" since its not supplied from Amazon, so I need to order 2 more, then wait for my refund on these 2...

ugh. Frustrating. I have a beer that's been in the fermenter for like 6 weeks now, and I really want to cold crash it! Oh well, I guess if this next round doesn't work, I'm just bottling as is.

Both read in the 13 to 14 kohm range

Sounds like your probes are OK.
It maybe 2 faulty controllers, but the odds on that happening must be small. Are you sure you connected the probe to the correct terminals, 3&4? And they actually make contact, the terminal screws clamping down on the copper, not the wire insulation?

As suggested test with an 8-15k ohm resistor on those terminals.

Okay WTF.

I was about to box them up this morning and thought i better try them one more time... Now they both work great... Both controllers with both probes with good results...

I checked the probe wiring over and over again. It almost seems like some of the other wiring must have been faulty, but i don't know how it could be...

Oh well. Seems okay now. I'm not touching it!

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Back