Stc 1000/keezer temp help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drizzt

Reaction score
I seem to occasionally have problem with my keezer and temp control. I bought a stc 1000 and hooked it up and set it to 35. It normally works fine but I have seen it drop to 22, 19, and 1. At 1 degree I felt like the kid in Christmas sorry with my hand sticking to the kegs. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if my the flavors in my beer are off or complex 😳

How old is the keezer and where do you have the sensor located? Pics are nice :)

I will send picks in the morning thank you very much for the assist

I think my step should be to borrow a multimeter and see if the stc 1000 is keeping the keezer on if not it should be in the freezer controls right?? I know I asked for help but I was trying to think this out. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410635197.508112.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410635208.129491.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410635220.594874.jpg

Your wiring seems to be going inside the freezer. With this am I to assume that you've bypassed the freezer control in favour of the STC? While it makes sense and can provide a very tidy install it increases the chances that something has been bypassed. Part of what makes me think this is that the "cool" light isn't illuminated. Nor is the "Heat" light, which it should come on by the time it's below freezing.

I installed mine into a small box that has an electrical outlet on it and plug my freezer into that. Set freezer to warmest setting though it should never have power long enough to get there. My freezer happens to have a "I am receiving power light" on the front. Since power is cut to the whole thing when the STC says so, the light is only on while the compressor is running. Then STC cuts power to the whole circuit. With that said, residual cooling will drop the temperature inside by up to 0.6 C after the power is cut, because the walls of freezer are still cold. This cannot be avoided entirely and doesn't concern me much at those values.

Here's a couple links regarding wiring and programming.

It was working fine For months so I think the wiring is ok. I probably screwed something up in the programming changing the temp I am going to memorize that tread and try some things thank you very much I will let you know how I made out.

So.... that's not an STC-1000... It looks like a product I saw called "Docooler." The wire diagram is different than the STC-1000, perhaps rewire with an appropriate diagram?

It's an MH1210 single stage 110vac controller that is likely wired correctly (connection-wise) if it works at all.

If the displayed temperature is swinging wildly when used with a freezer, the first question is where is the probe being placed?

Cheers!

The probe is in water that has frozen and the compressor was still running. I tried the factory reset and just setting it to cool and setting the temp.

Did you literally dunk the MH1210 temperature probe in water - unprotected?

If so, I think we can narrow down the loss of control problem rather quickly.

This link will probably come in handy. Buy a few...

Cheers!

Oops but it "claims" to be water proof and shows the accurate temp

I put mine straight in a jug of water and it works fine

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm looking at the MH1210 user manual (such as it is) and "water proof" does not appear anywhere. Nor does it appear anywhere on the random ebay vendor ads I just checked.

These are inexpensive NTC 10K B3435 sensors that are epoxy-potted in a stainless shell. Submerging them is rolling the dice.

wrt the OPs problem, Occam's Razor says it's user error, and I'm betting that's a compromised probe...

Cheers!

I believe me I am not arguing but I would like to counter point the fact that the probe is still giving accurate information the the unit. All the temps on the display are perfect. Does that mean anything

It should, I admit that.

You said initially that the controller was working, which indicates the wiring was connected correctly. If you've gone through the settings again and made sure you have your set-point correct and the differential correct, there isn't a whole heck of a lot left but the sensor - or a defective controller...

Cheers!

Honestly I think my controller is shot. I checked all my settings last night that did not work. I did a factory reset this morning and that didn't work either. I manage a department at work that does trace level repairs under microscopes. I will have a guy look at it real quick and let me know if he sees anything off.

Honestly I think my controller is shot. I checked all my settings last night that did not work. I did a factory reset this morning and that didn't work either. I manage a department at work that does trace level repairs under microscopes. I will have a guy look at it real quick and let me know if he sees anything off

Btw
I know nothing about electronics I just manage the customers and finances

Apparently I scared it into working because the day I was going to disassemble it and bring it into work to be ripped apart I noticed the temp was holding steady at 35 and has been ever since.

Back