STC-1000 Housing/Self Contained

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRoth

Reaction score
I've been using a couple STC-1000's for a while now & decided to build a self contained one that could be moved around easily, or at least one that I didn't have to cut wires to make work. I really like how it turned out, so I thought I'd post on here what I did. I used a 4"x4"x4" gray plastic housing from Home Depot and one of those rectangular outlets. I used a dremel to cut out windows for the STC and the outlet and a file to clean them up and make them the correct size. On the outlet, I broke off the "ears" and bent the brackets to fit in the housing. I drilled a couple of holes at an angle and used the attached screws to screw it down to the housing. I also broke off the bridge between the outlets on the hot and neutral side, but after thinking about it, you shouldn't need to do that to the neutral side. I wire nutted 3 wires onto each of the plug wires, one each to power the STC, one hot to heat and and one to cool on the STC. One neutral to heat side of plug and one to Cool side. Then one from the STC Heat to the Heat plug and one from Cool to Cool Plug.

2014-05-02 18.15.40.jpg

2014-05-02 18.15.51.jpg

2014-05-02 18.16.03.jpg

2014-05-02 18.12.00.jpg

Thanks Mike! I made another one yesterday for my chest freezer.

Nice job. I've built a few using Radio Shack project boxes but The box you used much better. Looks, professional, solid and more "electrical" looking lol. Thanks for posting.

Nice job. I've built a few using Radio Shack project boxes but The box you used much better. Looks, professional, solid and more "electrical" looking lol. Thanks for posting.

Thanks! I'm really happy with how they turned out. Hopefully other people on here can use this for theirs if they like it.

With a little bit of ingenuity, you can cram two outlets and a controller into a 4x4x2 box!
Single%20Enclosure%2001.jpg

Single%20Enclosure%2003.jpg

Here is my portable unit, including having a plug on the temperature probe. I just used an 1/8" jack and it seems to work quite well.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399681574.464063.jpg

Those are some nice designs! I like the Jack for the thermocouple, might have to "borrow" that ;)

Latest posts

Back