STC 1000 fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
My Propionic Shermani experiment failed due to an STC 1000 that changed up the temp to 85C on it's own. I was not monitoring it. The experiment was to culture milk with flora danica to about 5.3PH then kill the culture with heat, and add Propionic Shermani, and age at about 20C for a month.

I'll have to start over. The idea was to develop a soft spreadable cheese with the distinctive peppery flavor of Swiss cheese, using the propionic shermani to develop that flavor. It did seem to be headed in the right direction before I quit monitoring it.......... ;-(

Normally power outages, which are frequent here, do not effect the settings on an STC 1000. I suspect that lightening was the culprit.

H.W.

ADDED LATER

I pulled the jar of cultured milk, brought it into the house, opened it and tasted it. It has a powerful flavor and smell of Swiss cheese, though at 185F, I'm sure that the culture was killed when things went awry. Instead of tossing it, I decided to drain and salt it. Quantity is only 1 qt, and it is nicely curdled, so I'm not adding any rennet, just treating it like a yogurt cheese. In reality, it looks like the experiment succeeded, and I'm eager to taste the finished product. I have no idea how long the system maintained the correct temp before it went haywire, but apparently long enough. The PH is low enough that I'm not too concerned about things like pathogens.

H.W.

Last edited:
My Propionic Shermani experiment failed due to an STC 1000 that changed up the temp to 85C on it's own. I was not monitoring it. The experiment was to culture milk with flora danica to about 5.3PH then kill the culture with heat, and add Propionic Shermani, and age at about 20C for a month.

I'll have to start over. The idea was to develop a soft spreadable cheese with the distinctive peppery flavor of Swiss cheese, using the propionic shermani to develop that flavor. It did seem to be headed in the right direction before I quit monitoring it.......... ;-(

Normally power outages, which are frequent here, do not effect the settings on an STC 1000. I suspect that lightening was the culprit.

H.W.

Check the connection between probe and the unit. I've had this happen. STC has been the most fail-proof unit I've had, if the connections are good.

Check the connection between probe and the unit. I've had this happen. STC has been the most fail-proof unit I've had, if the connections are good.

The temp setting actually changed from 21C to 85C...... by itself. I can only assume that this was an effect of lightening or something.... a voltage spike, or electromagnetic interference.......

Back