Trying aged spreadable Swiss again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
My first experiment failed due to a flukey temp controller. In a nutshell, I cultured milk to a suitable PH, killed the culture, and pitched Propionic Shermani. It was then to be made into soft cheese after aging for a month.

Second experiment: I started cheese as if making normal swiss (this morning). I will not "cook" it, as I want a soft spreadable cheese. I will cut the curd to about 3/8", let it settle, and pull off as much whey as possible. I'll then add water at 85F to replace it. The idea being to wash out as much of the lactose as possible and retard the souring during the aging process. I'll let it sit in the diluted whey all afternoon, then strain it to the consistency of sour cream approximately. This will go into a jar with a plastic lid, and the jar will be set in a can of water on my heating pad with an STC 1000 maintaining the water temp at 21C for a month.
At the end of the month, I'll whip it into a soft creamy spreadable. The primary culture is Flora Danica.

I don't give up easily ;-) ......... I'll keep trying until I get what I want!! Just because there isn't such a recipe (apparently), doesn't mean that it won't work.

Thoughts and suggestions???

H.W.

Ran into problems..... Too much moisture for aging, mold started developing on the surface. I scooped the beginnings of mold off, and brought the cheese in and drained it off a bit more. I then put it in a jar that had been heated in the oven, to sterilize the outer surface, and poured a thin layer of hot oil over the top. Hopefully this will suppress growth on the surface. It's going back into the aging environment..........Next batch, I'll do the hot oil / hot glass thing right off the bat.

Back