Starting SG to High? and other newbie questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny P

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here and new to winemaking. I have started my 3rd batch of wine (first 2 are only 2 and 3 weeks along) and have some questions. I am making chokecherry wine, following a recipe I found here by Yooper. I have had to modify it from a 15-gallon size to a smaller size to fit my goals. My goal is to make 3 gallons of wine. I have a 3-gallon carboy plus some 1 gallon and smaller vessels.

The recipe:
9lbs chokecherries frozen then mashed
7.5 pounds sugar, Dissolved in 1-gallon water and brought to a boil
3 pounds golden raisins chopped and added to a bag with mashed chokecherries
3 tsp acid blend
1.5 tsp pectic enzyme
3 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp tannin
4 crushed Campden tablets
2.5 gallons of filtered water.
1 pkg yeast EC- 1118 ? or Red Star Premier yeast

Day one: put mixed mashed chokecherries into a bucket, poured boiling sugar water over top, then added additional water to 5 gallons. SG 1.100
Covered and let rest overnight

Day 2: Added, yeast nutrient, acid blend, Campden Tablets and tannin, Squeezed fruit bag, and stirred all in.
SG now is 1.112

I will wait 12 hours then add pectic enzyme
Wait another 12 hours then add yeast

My questions are:
1. Will this end up overly sweet? I like sweeter wines, but not too sweet, I think something similar to a Riesling is my goal.
2. And if that is the case, is there something I can do at this point to change that?

3. I have 2 types of yeast available and am unsure which one to use, I don't know what the differences are. EC- 1118 ? or Red Star Premier yeast

4. I most likely should have asked before I started, but what would be the purpose of adding the raisins to this recipe versus using more of the chokecherries.

Thank you

First look at the potential alcohol of your wine:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/
Screenshot_20180804-172100.png

Then look at the alcohol tolerance of your yeast. Some people think 1118 and Premier Cuvee are the same strain.
http://www.lallemandbrewing.com/product-details/lalvin-ec-1118/

The alcohol tolerance of the yeast is greater than the potential alcohol of the wine, so it will ferment dry if you let it.
If you want it sweet, there are methods to stop it early (if you can cold crash) or to sweeten after it's fermented dry.

I'm assuming the raisins are for grape flavor/tannins.

First look at the potential alcohol of your wine:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/
View attachment 582160

Then look at the alcohol tolerance of your yeast. Some people think 1118 and Premier Cuvee are the same strain.
http://www.lallemandbrewing.com/product-details/lalvin-ec-1118/

The alcohol tolerance of the yeast is greater than the potential alcohol of the wine, so it will ferment dry if you let it.
If you want it sweet, there are methods to stop it early (if you can cold crash) or to sweeten after it's fermented dry.

I'm assuming the raisins are for grape flavor/tannins.

Thank you, is there a way to lower the SG before I add the yeast tonight?

Also, I am still unsure what "ferment dry" means, I assume it has something to do with the yeast fermenting out all the sugars. I am not sure what cold crashing is, or how to do it!

Thank you, is there a way to lower the SG before I add the yeast tonight?
Yep, add water.

Also, I am still unsure what "ferment dry" means, I assume it has something to do with the yeast fermenting out all the sugars. I am not sure what cold crashing is, or how to do it!
Have you had a dry wine? "Dry" means there is no sugar; it has all been consumed by yeast.

"Cold crashing" means to cool the wine/whatever to below 40°F so that the yeast stop and drop to the bottom of the fermenter.

You'll need to rack and "stabilize" (prevent further fermentation) with sorbate if you want it sweet.

Yep, add water.

Have you had a dry wine? "Dry" means there is no sugar; it has all been consumed by yeast.

"Cold crashing" means to cool the wine/whatever to below 40°F so that the yeast stop and drop to the bottom of the fermenter.

Thank you, yes I have had dry wines, my hubby likes them dry, I like it sweeter, he used to sell wine and host tastings for a local shop, we both do a LOT of wine drinking, But brewing is new! I guess I was thinking "dry" when brewing meant something different than "dry" when tasting.

I don't think I would have a way to cold crash, so instead, I added 1.5 gallons of water to the must and 2 pounds of chokecherries. The SG now reads 1.090, the plan is to add the pectic enzyme later tonight, and after 12 hours the yeast.

You'll need to rack and "stabilize" (prevent further fermentation) with sorbate if you want it sweet.
So does this mean that instead of fermenting to .990 (or dry) if I wanted to I could ferment to 1.000 and then add the Sorbate to stop the fermentation process? And as a result, I would end up with a sweeter wine? I was under the impression that if I wanted a sweeter wine, I would ferment to dry, then add the sorbate and if I wanted it sweeter back sweeten later.

Is sorbate what a Campden tab is made with?

Yep, I need to do more reading.....it just doesn't all stick first, second or third time through, the experience is a better teacher!

I was under the impression that if I wanted a sweeter wine, I would ferment to dry, then add the sorbate and if I wanted it sweeter back sweeten later.
If you can't cold crash, then yes this is the correct process. Ferment dry, allow to clear (with time & racking or with fining agents), rack, sorbate, back-sweeten.

Stopping it early without cold crashing isn't easy/reliable/possible unless the yeast hit their alcohol tolerance..
Is sorbate what a Campden tab is made with?
No, Campden is sulfite.
Sorbate prevents yeast reproduction.

Last edited:
Back