Starting from scratch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scs3drg

Reaction score
Hi

I've just joined the forum today and would appreciate your guidance, advice, criticism etc to help steer me in the right direction. Please read below, let me know if you disagree or agree (just as important) and tips on what to consider next would be good.

I'm purchasing a property with approx a 14m square area I've set aside for apple trees purely for making in to cider.

I've calculated that I can get 4 semi, 2 dwarf and 2 espalier trees in that area (there's a little set aside for a seating area).
I believe this will yield me approx 21 bushels a year.

So the big question, what apples to grow. So what's important to me, in order of importance:
- Quality of the final cider
- Yield (I want max crop every year as soon as possible)
- I'd like to spread the crop time of trees so I can produce separate single apple ciders for blending following fermentation
- ease of tree management
- ideally would like not to have to spray the trees

I believe the site is a good one, in Yorkshire, well sheltered but gets sun throughout the day.

Here's what I've come up with so far based on the above criteria
Semi Dwarf 1 - Kingston Black - Mild Bittersharp - Oct/Nov
Semi Dwarf 2 - Dabinett - Medium Bittersweet - Nov
Semi Dwarf 3 - Major - Bittersweet - End Sept
Semi Dwarf 4 - Browns Apple - Sharp - Mid oct
Dwarf - Browns Apple - Sharp - Mid oct
Dwarf - Sweet Alford - Sweet - End Sept
Espalier - Browns Apple - Sharp - Mid oct
Espalier - Cox Orange Pippin - Sharp - Nov

So I think that's enough for now, I have lots more questions but lets see what this is like for a starting point.

Where do you live? Climate will dictate most of your planting choices.

Also, everyone here will tell you to plant different trees. The most important thing is to have a mix of tart and sweet apples. I always add pears when I press my cider (only about 5%), and I find that adds a subtle depth to the flavor, so I'd consider finding room for a pear tree.

Hi, I mean this is the nicest way, but am I posting on the wrong forum as there's not a great deal of response (I do appreciate the reply I've had).

I've seen other threads where there are a lot more responses. Is it because I'm in the UK, or that a lot of people here seem to be buying the juice in to make cider.

Or am I just being rude and impatient?

There are some threads that get a lot visits, and few replies, and some that are almost equal in visits/replies. I ask that you do not get offended, as your question can only be specifically answered by a accomplished apple grower and/or cider maker. Okay, I am sure there are others with qualified experience, but maybe they haven't been on line in a couple of days.
Impatient yes, but rude not so much. Good things come to those who wait.
Cheers!

Nobody here discriminates against members based upon their location. I live in Finland and sometimes my threads get a lot of responses, sometimes they don't. Sometimes people tell me to visit Wal-Mart and don't realize that, for me, the closest one of those stores is in Germany!

The best people to ask regarding which types of cider trees to grow in your area are people who live in your area. You can even pay a visit to the Ministry Of Agriculture Fisheries & Food and ask for advice.

I personally wouldn't try to make cider from apples unless I had enough to get at least 250 liters of juice (overhead of dealing with an apple press, etc). Anything less than that and it's juice from the store.

Back