Starting an Ontario, Canada Brewpub...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Killercal

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just putting this out there, I’ve yet to do a search on Google (will be doing that next) and didn’t find much info on here with the quick search I did.

Now opening up a brewpub is just a dream right now but I want to start and educate myself on the legalities of doing so before I even attempt to dream it. Does anyone have any links/books/knowledge on the rules and regulations of owning a brewpub in Ontario, Canada?

If anyone has experience on this, it would also be nice to hear some tips or helpful hints.

Thanks in advanced and remember that this is just a dream right now, but could turn into reality after I’m educated enough.

I don't have any concrete advice to offer, but I have a friend who was investigating this very thing. I'll try to remember what he told me:

-start up cost in the neighbourhood of a million dollars. This will obviously vary with the specifics you have in mind, but just throwing a number out there :)
-licencing costs vary depending on how you're going to sell your beer. If you're just selling it to be drunk at the bar, then I think it's just like any liquor licence. If you want to sell it for take away, then there's some extra cost involved, and if you want to sell it at the LCBO and/or The Beer Store, there's further costs.
-if you have a family, they won't see you for about a year, unless they work at the brewpub with you ;) It's just the realities of starting a business, especially one with the day-to-day operations of a brewery, combined with the generally late nights involved with a pub.

I don't know of any brewpubs in Barrie, but you'd probably benefit from talking to the owner or manager of one. There's a few in Toronto that I can think of, if you're ever in the big city :)

I'll definitely give yours a visit if you get it up and running, though.

Thanks for the reply plaidpaint. Yeah, I would be best to talk to someone who has opened one/ running one to get the most valuable information. I will be doing a bit of searching on Google tonight to see if I can find some documents on the Government website. Anything I find I will post for other to read.

I see that someone is starting one up in my neck of the woods too, I can't imagine the paperwork involved in getting something like this off the ground in Ontario. Its definitely good to see though. I'm just hoping that they will sell me some grain if I buy enough beer! :tank:

http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2868888

I googled, and found an old label from the Lake of the Woods Brewing Company on Ebay. I guess this will be the name of the new brewery thats opening.

" PAT'S GOLD BAND RICE BEER " label from the Lake Of The Woods Brewing Co. Kenora, Ontario ( 1929 -1954) Contents 12 Fl. Ozs. The label is in excellent condition

I guess at least they put it right there on the label, unlike budweiser.

Kudos to you for looking into this. It is my dream to own my own brewpub, serving beers that I brew. Unfortunately, I live 1 hour north of you in a town of 6000, where the only beers on tap are Coors LIght and Rickards Red.

I would be bankrupt in one month.

Good luck..

Unfortunately, I live 1 hour north of you in a town of 6000, where the only beers on tap are Coors LIght and Rickards Red.

North on 400, or 11? There's a nice pub in Bracebridge with a pretty decent selection of craft brews on tap. It's tiny, though, so you have to get in early ;)

i share your dream, and i just started brewing. but i dont think it would ever happen for me. having a family and unsteady job makes it hard to save. i think the moast costly aspect would be all the fees and insurance, too many regulations in ontario

Back