Starting a Homebrew Shop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprchunk

It is though
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just need some funds to get a storefront up and operable. Will be in Crestview, FL. If funds aren't met, I'll have to go the online route for a while. Not ideal, but I'll make it work.

But if everyone on here puts in a few bucks, the brewers in my area will finally have a place to go to.

Bobby is one of the best examples for how to run a successful homebrew business.
Take care of your customer #1, Be Innovative, and give back to the brew community.

I got your joke, Bobby!

What is the value of the inventory in a Homebrew Shop. Just curious but not the cost of shelving, fridge and such. Just the items for sale?

Throw a couple dollars on it without seeing any type of business plan? You might wanna try a go fund me account. Many small business have been launched that way. Best of luck to you!

Hmmm

I think you are better served to have a gofundme account. The reason why is because on Kickstarter, people are looking for rewards. Your rewards are quite weak at best. I realize that I am probably coming off as harsh, but it is more about being direct. Hopefully, someone in your life is telling you something fairly similar. Opening up a business is incredibly tough and I hope if I ever do it, I have someone on my side telling me when I'm making a move that is less than ideal.

You see, for $50.00, I don't want an extract beer kit that I will be required to pay shipping for to receive. My contribution is my contribution, you figure out what you need to get that extract kit to me. The next reward again require someone to pay shipping. I've actually never contributed to a kickstarter campaign and was told shipping would be extra. I think that's a rib for me.

Next, $11,500.00 to start a LHBS, it does seem low. Even to someone who has never sat down and done the math. If I simply look at ingredients needed on hand, $11,500.00 may barely cut it.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe this is more thought out than it appears, but even your Kickstarter campaign looks like it isn't exactly well thought out.

And this...this steered me away right away:
The only risks are finding adequate building space. There are enough spots that this should be a minimal issue. Permits will be no problem as homebrew stores are just retail outlets. Once the store gets settled there might be more concerns with growth. But that is really a distant marker to reach.

You see, if you were funded then basically you're running around with a bunch of money assuming you'll have zero issue with permits and finding a place? Sure, it's a retail store, but have you ever gone through the process of opening a retail store that also serves items that are intended for consumption? Just curious.

I wish you the best of luck. If possible, perhaps you can open the gofundme account instead of trying to force yourself into figuring out rewards that don't exactly fit the contribution.

But if everyone on here puts in a few bucks, the brewers in my area will finally have a place to go to.

Well, according to Google Maps, Crestview is 33 minutes from Hop Heads in Ft. Walton Beach. Since I'm 39 minutes away from my local homebrew shop, that doesn't sound particularly terrible.

And, maybe it isn't a great decision to split the business in your area. (Crestview, population 22k in Okaloosa County population 193K) It would suck for the homebrewers in the area if you both went out of business.

What is the value of the inventory in a Homebrew Shop. Just curious but not the cost of shelving, fridge and such. Just the items for sale?

Not as much as most people on here are assuming, I'm not starting a brewery yet. Rent is around 500 a month on a more than adequate space, in a more than adequate location. 1000 would put me in a better spot, but not that much better.

I've got my accounts set up with most everyone at this point. I'm looking at a few thousand tops right now for all the supplies I would need. 11.5 was a very top of the range for me, and would be very comfortable.

I appreciate the feedback, it does help. And I've looked at all of it. Will definitely take any and all I get.

Not as much as most people on here are assuming, I'm not starting a brewery yet. Rent is around 500 a month on a more than adequate space, in a more than adequate location. 1000 would put me in a better spot, but not that much better.

I've got my accounts set up with most everyone at this point. I'm looking at a few thousand tops right now for all the supplies I would need. 11.5 was a very top of the range for me, and would be very comfortable.

I appreciate the feedback, it does help. And I've looked at all of it. Will definitely take any and all I get.

Then there is electricity, water, sewage, heat, insurance, equipment costs (grain mills, chairs, shelving, POS terminal, etc. etc. etc.), advertising, marketing, legal/permitting, TAXES, and the like.

A store is more than a space and some grains.

I'd be very interested to hear what inventory you intend to have in the store, if you are only looking for $11k5..

I could easily see that money being spent on preparing the shop (fixtures, signs. POS, etc) and not even leaving anything left for inventory. At the very least, to me, it seems that a homebrew shop with only $11k5 in inventory seems like it would be pretty sparse. Sure, you'd be able to get a good deal of ingredients in there, but what about equipment and parts and such?

To me, I'd rather a shop be an online shop with good selection and all, rather than a store front that really doesn't have anything..

My opening BSG order was over $10k and it was barely enough to get it off the ground. It didn't include any hardware, pots, or anything like that.

So that was pretty much just ingredients and other consumables?
That sounds much more realistic to me.

My opening BSG order was over $10k and it was barely enough to get it off the ground. It didn't include any hardware, pots, or anything like that.

If yours was over $10k then how in the world would his be "a few thousand tops"? In truth, I was scribbling on paper when I read this yesterday and I came up with at least $15k just to carry enough to bring home brewers inside my shop. That was just for supplies and nothing else, including lights. There is also the need to invest in a good mill. If the crush sucks at a shop, I can't see people shopping there.

Do you have a business plan? You seem pretty sketchy on the details and unrealistic in your expectations.

I opened a LHBS 1.5 years ago and my starting costs were well over $10K. I was lucky too. My LHBS went out of business due to horrible business management. A partner and I went in and took it over and re-opened it. This means we already had all of the shelving and display stuff we needed, storage bins and even some leftover inventory. It still took a monumental effort and quite a bit of expense to get it off the ground. We have been tremendously successful so far and our customer base is an awesome group of people who are incredibly loyal and make great beer. That didn't come easy. It took a lot of work to get customers in the door and to earn back the business of former customers who got burned by the old guys. Even now we are constantly coming up with unique ideas to drive the business, and the more we grow, the more we spend. At least now it's money we already have.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. Quite the opposite. But your attitude towards this does not seem very serious, or at least realistic. You are going to need a LOT of money, and you are going to need to sleep at the shop for the first few months to get it off the ground. If you really are serious about doing this PM me and I can hook you up with some good resources for starting a homebrew shop. Good luck!

Just a comment...this is an interesting thread to me.

Since the 90's when I got into brewing, I considered doing the same thing, but a full time job that involves travel made it unrealistic for me.

I go to the local shops to: support the local businesses as much as possible; get advice on brewing and; get the most fresh ingredients where i dont trust the transport ( especially yeast which i do not yet propagate...although plan to) . I've thought about selling some stuff online for some extra cash but not sure how realistic that is given the readily available multitude of online sellers. Also still can not run something like this full time. Even the specialty items for the larger scale setups are now available, which back in the 90s I had a horrific time finding reasonably priced, especially all the stainless.

Anyway interested to see how it goes, but there are a lot of good points being made on this thread. Hopefully you can find some niche that sets you apart and gets you rolling...good luck!

Then there is electricity, water, sewage, heat, insurance, equipment costs (grain mills, chairs, shelving, POS terminal, etc. etc. etc.), advertising, marketing, legal/permitting, TAXES, and the like.

A store is more than a space and some grains.

Most all of that is already taken care of out of pocket. Permits and taxes, registering all names and license - DONE. In this area 10K+ of inventory would sit on shelves for a long time (until I convert more people:)). I've already come up with some figures for the raw ingredients and I'm well under 5K. The rent on a bldg for a year would be 3K, with taxes and fees. The hardware would be something I really haven't priced out yet. I've rouge-estimated another 2K of brewing hardware would last me a good few months, if not ordering is easy and delivery isn't as slow as it used to be. Most vendors can get my stuff here in a few days.

I really like the feedback though. I've not seen much jump out at me that I haven't already thought about. This campaign was just to supplement my own money going into it. I'm getting ready to retire and will have a paycheck from that for the rest of my life, not to mention my 401K type investment I have that could be loaned to the business. My personal bills are not an issue. My wife's career and retirement check will more than cover those and our lifestyle.

Please keep the suggestions/feedback/lessons learned coming though, I really do appreciate them. I have no problem taking criticism at all, well constructive at least. And I'm more than sure that I've overlooked something that someone will touch upon that makes me say "oh ****!". I've already taken the suggestion to move over to gofundme. Make way more sense.

As for the business model question. I do have one, just not on paper. If I put it down on paper I'll probably just go the SBA route. I'm getting ready to go through some briefings and courses for entrepreneurial avenues. I'm hoping to learn something and they might steer me the SBA route as well.

Again, thanks a lot for your input. Especially you guys that have gone down this path. I'll be pinging a couple of you with questions I'm sure. So I appreciate the invite to do so.

Why would you ever borrow from your 401k? That is about the worst financial advice anyone could give or follow.

The plan isn't the valuable thing. It is the planning process that is valuable. When you are forced to organize your thoughts and put them on paper you do a lot more than just writing them down.

There was a guy that used to say "Plans are worthless but planning is essential." He was a pretty successful guy so I think he should be taken seriously. That was Eisenhower, by the way.

Good luck with your venture.

Most all of that is already taken care of out of pocket. Permits and taxes, registering all names and license - DONE. In this area 10K+ of inventory would sit on shelves for a long time (until I convert more people:)). I've already come up with some figures for the raw ingredients and I'm well under 5K. The rent on a bldg for a year would be 3K, with taxes and fees. The hardware would be something I really haven't priced out yet. I've rouge-estimated another 2K of brewing hardware would last me a good few months, if not ordering is easy and delivery isn't as slow as it used to be. Most vendors can get my stuff here in a few days.

I really like the feedback though. I've not seen much jump out at me that I haven't already thought about. This campaign was just to supplement my own money going into it. I'm getting ready to retire and will have a paycheck from that for the rest of my life, not to mention my 401K type investment I have that could be loaned to the business. My personal bills are not an issue. My wife's career and retirement check will more than cover those and our lifestyle.

Please keep the suggestions/feedback/lessons learned coming though, I really do appreciate them. I have no problem taking criticism at all, well constructive at least. And I'm more than sure that I've overlooked something that someone will touch upon that makes me say "oh ****!". I've already taken the suggestion to move over to gofundme. Make way more sense.

As for the business model question. I do have one, just not on paper. If I put it down on paper I'll probably just go the SBA route. I'm getting ready to go through some briefings and courses for entrepreneurial avenues. I'm hoping to learn something and they might steer me the SBA route as well.

Again, thanks a lot for your input. Especially you guys that have gone down this path. I'll be pinging a couple of you with questions I'm sure. So I appreciate the invite to do so.

good job on seeking the SBA/entrepreneurial avenue....my advice is to get a good mentor who can help you work through things like inventory, cash flow, etc. The mentor doesn't need to come from the brewing world, (probably better than they don't actually).

250/month for rent? That seems really low to me. All of your numbers seem stupid low, but that is me. I also worry when you say 10k of inventory would sit for awhile that you are setting up shop in the wrong location or that demand won't keep the place alive. Just my 0.02.

What are your plans for a POS system? Inventory management in a homebrew shop is a giant pain in the a$$ so you are going to need a good one. Also, how do you plan to get involved with the local brewing community? I found that to be extremely valuable when I was just starting, and it is even more valuable now.

What are your plans for a POS system? Inventory management in a homebrew shop is a giant pain in the a$$ so you are going to need a good one. Also, how do you plan to get involved with the local brewing community? I found that to be extremely valuable when I was just starting, and it is even more valuable now.

There are a couple I'm looking at. But until I get a storefront I'll be using online sales. There are a few turn-key jobs in that realm that might fit my needs. Volusion, Shopify, etc.

5 days to go... $11,440 to go to meet the goal! Sorry, but I think you're going to find a new plan to finance this..

Good luck.

Here goes the longest post on record :)
I opened a shop in January...probably the worst time of year other than July. It is a part time business as I have a real job still for a few more years till I retire. I spent 6 hard months of research including calling other shops that had been open less than a year that I could find and some that had closed. The AHA data is no good for start ups as they discount any store open less than a year in their analysis. One major thing I kept learning was you need a year's worth (or equal to a lease term of the longest term item) of fixed and indirect costs in cash if you hope to survive. All the new shops told me the first year is about survival....and I agree. I am in a MSA of almost a million people.....8 more million are 80 miles away....in Mexico. The nearest homebrew supply store is hundreds of miles away. There is a Homebrew club with 40+ members and numerous beer events in the area. Stats say I should have hundreds of customers. The hard part is finding them when you do this part time. You either have to figure out how to attend every festival, tasting event, whatever that comes along or find another way to develop awareness that you exist. And advertising is another whole can of worms...what kind, what place, how much, design, cost.....etc. It's a lot harder than you think. But each week I get someone new that claims, "Wow, I didn't know a homebrew supply store existed in the valley." There are thousands of craft beer drinkers but they all don't homebrew......building the customer base needed to support the store is difficult work so you need cash until that happens. To be honest, we have not covered all our expenses (fixed and variable) each month with profits. We have had to dip into these reserves all but one month. Be prepared.

Startup costs....my rent is high compared to many other shops I talked to (and absurd compared to what you said) at 1000 sq ft for $1000...but all rents in my area are for retail space. And my space is not large so my inventory is limited which forces me to make frequent purchases which increases my freight costs, though they are some of the better rates in the country. (Basically my high rent offsets my lower freight costs.) Freight can kill your margins.
I bought used store fixtures at great prices and they are actually attractive...more than standard gondola shelving or open wire racks though I do use gondolas along the wall. But that was still $3K. POS hardware can be leased...but I bought mine...another $1K approximately. Software is incredibly expensive, so I went the online cloud based way with PHP Point of Sale. Extremely reasonable pricing with a decent enough inventory/sales management program. Lacks a couple things I would like but they may get developed (supplier database for one). And it doesn't support PIN pads yet....and those cost a few hundred dollars. And then there are the credit card fees....your software has to work with the service provider so you may be limited in choice....don't think you can run out and get the lowest rate easily. I'm limited but the service is good. And one other precaution about cloud based POS....what will you do when the internet provider is down? Better have a backup plan.......
Deposits and installation fees for internet, phone, pest control, etc....city inspections/permits always come up with something you didn't think of unless you have opened a store before....and even then, the rules change. Careful when leasing....what may have been OK for the previous tenant may no longer be OK. Example....handicapped parking signage, access. My town changed the ordinance about a year and a half ago but grandfathered all existing tenants in my building....not me. And since we all share the same parking lot, I was denied a permit until the situation was brought up to code (landlord's responsibility but you have to deal with a landlord). Without an occupancy permit, I couldn't get the electricity turned on....we stocked and fixed up the store for two weeks without power. Again, plan for the GOTCHAs!
Store decor....believe it or not, a plain ole warehouse approach will hurt you. Many of my customers bring their significant other after they have been to the store a time or two. We like that...we don't want to give the impression that it is just some beer place husbands run off to and hang out, though we like that too :). But we have had several wives stop in and pick up things for their spouse and tell us they don't mind doing that at all because our store is comfortable, clean and seems safe and friendly. A few of them now come regularly. If you look like some dump, then people won't come in....and you want every Tom, Dick and Sally to come in.....well, most of them....and stay because the longer they stay, the more they might think of or see to buy. And speaking of seeing, presentation is important. You need a planogram before you open...and you need to have the ability to revise it.

INVENTORY
We are small. We planned to start small knowing that January would be a hard start since we would be competing for people's cash with Christmas bills in many cases...and knowing unless they got cash, they may have received homebrewing gifts and would not be in to buy them from us. We still ordered over $10K worth of inventory....and that did not include any kegging supplies or equipment besides a few pots and little cost items and only 12 oz bottles. We figured our target was NEW Brewers as much as existing...let the existing come in and tell you what THEY want. We went heavy on equipment starter kits and ingredient kits and carboys and buckets...(We knew the Mexican customer base would go for glass carboys through our research...and they did...sold out in 2 weeks :) ) What will be your customer base? What will they want initially? You won't sell a lot of clothing in a nudity camp...............

OTHER STUFF
Plan on a bigger refrigerator than you have planned.
Plastic or paper? bags....stock or custom imprinted?
Loyalty program?
Material handling...how do you plan to move those 50/55 lb sacks of grain?
Grain mill....already mentioned, but your home version isn't adequate for going through a few hundred pounds in a day/night.
Signage
Web page www.rgvbrew.com and it needs a lot of work, speaking of....it takes a lot of time unless it's your avocation or occupation
chimpmail, constant contact, etc.....paid or free version? Again, a time consumer
Hours of NON operation....when do you receive goods, stock shelves, label items, reprice, clean the floors, dust the place....and you ain't seen the like of dust unless you have previously been in a grainery....clean the toilet/sink, mow if required, pick up the parking lot, take out the trash...speaking of, is your lease space providing trash service? Is the dumpster big enough? You will get lots of boxes and pallets to dispose of..... Non operating hours required are almost equal to operating hours in our case but we are only open 15 hours a week so it is somewhat disproportional. Trips to the bank...there are still people with cash....general supplies shopping

That's enough....I'm only trying to make sure you think of everything...it's a fun business...we look at like, well, we would probably spend the money some other way to have fun...and we get to meet new people, see friends, share homebrews, tell stories and lies, and learn...It has completely changed our social life since we are open evenings and Saturdays. Have fun!

Here goes the longest post on record :)

Great post. Thank you for taking the time to type it all out. Very appreciated.

I've been thinking about opening up a shop since I started brewing 22+ years ago. So I've had a couple decades of thinking of most everything. The first few years were thinking about the general overall plan. The last 20 or so were the fine details. I'm sure there is something I missed, nobody is perfect right?

This will also be a part time gig for me until I finally retire in 16 months (wow seems so far away, but keeps getting closer faster and faster). I'm not sure if I'll go full time or not with this venture, but I know it's something I've wanted to do for over half my life now. Hell, I might get another job and hire someone to run the shop during the week.

The crowdfunding angle was just to help offset my actual costs - right now. I'll have more than enough to pull out of my own pocket to get things rolling, but I'll have to wait until the day I retire to use my own cash. I figured I could get started now and get established enough that my costs, both monetarily and timewise, would be minimal. Plus it would be nice to have a year or so of P&L data to look at to see if it would help pay my bills. This would also help if I decided to use an SBA to fund it and not risk all of my money. Like I said earlier, my wife has a decent job, and my retirement (which I also get the day I retire) will be, depending on some issues, close to what I'm making now - just slightly less.

I know there are risks involved. I know there will be something I didn't think about. And believe me when I say I'm my own harshest critic, along with my wife who actually carries a business degree and has worked in the advertising realm for quite a while. So she's set me straight more than once. Everything everyone in here has mentioned has been spoken by her more than once.

There are tons of stuff that I would like to do differently, but they aren't deal breakers. I'd like to be in a better metropolis, but I'll be serving a pretty diverse area. This area in particular is set to grow with a few new distribution hubs coming in and the government doubling one of their special forces groups. I'll either be on the baseline that sees great growth, or I'll have a decent group of people already brewing. Both don't sound bad to me. And I can always make the best of it.

I appreciate all the words. They are helpful and brings some sanity to the situation.

I can't say much from experience but I remember reading a thread here of someone opening a micro brewery. It took him almost twice as long as his initial estimate to get opened and it cost almost twice his initial estimate.

Good luck. But I agree with most of the comments that say you are way underestimating the costs. I worked in a shop the size you would need in a small strip center in 1984 that had a monthly rent of $500. I wonder what kind of place you can get for that rent 31 years later.

I worked in a shop the size you would need in a small strip center in 1984 that had a monthly rent of $500. I wonder what kind of place you can get for that rent 31 years later.

I'm sure it's the same place you worked at in 1984 ;)

There are some cheap-ish areas around. But you are correct; if I want a very nice place it is going to cost me. That is a cost I can't actually put a number on yet. This is the only real cost I need to be in there to figure it out. How much I make will ultimately determine how much I can afford. Not to mention that if I go too big I'll be wasting space, and if I go too small everyone will be tripping over everyone and everything. I'm sure once I get settled in and figured out I will have moved a couple times. Not something I'd like to do. But almost every store I've done business with over the years has moved a couple times. I guess it's a blessing and a curse to have your business have a modicum of success?

Great post. Thank you for taking the time to type it all out. Very appreciated.

I've been thinking about opening up a shop since I started brewing 22+ years ago. So I've had a couple decades of thinking of most everything. The first few years were thinking about the general overall plan. The last 20 or so were the fine details. I'm sure there is something I missed, nobody is perfect right?

This will also be a part time gig for me until I finally retire in 16 months (wow seems so far away, but keeps getting closer faster and faster). I'm not sure if I'll go full time or not with this venture, but I know it's something I've wanted to do for over half my life now. Hell, I might get another job and hire someone to run the shop during the week.

The crowdfunding angle was just to help offset my actual costs - right now. I'll have more than enough to pull out of my own pocket to get things rolling, but I'll have to wait until the day I retire to use my own cash. I figured I could get started now and get established enough that my costs, both monetarily and timewise, would be minimal. Plus it would be nice to have a year or so of P&L data to look at to see if it would help pay my bills. This would also help if I decided to use an SBA to fund it and not risk all of my money. Like I said earlier, my wife has a decent job, and my retirement (which I also get the day I retire) will be, depending on some issues, close to what I'm making now - just slightly less.

I know there are risks involved. I know there will be something I didn't think about. And believe me when I say I'm my own harshest critic, along with my wife who actually carries a business degree and has worked in the advertising realm for quite a while. So she's set me straight more than once. Everything everyone in here has mentioned has been spoken by her more than once.

There are tons of stuff that I would like to do differently, but they aren't deal breakers. I'd like to be in a better metropolis, but I'll be serving a pretty diverse area. This area in particular is set to grow with a few new distribution hubs coming in and the government doubling one of their special forces groups. I'll either be on the baseline that sees great growth, or I'll have a decent group of people already brewing. Both don't sound bad to me. And I can always make the best of it.

I appreciate all the words. They are helpful and brings some sanity to the situation.

Hey, bro, been following this thread and for what it's worth, here's my 2 cents, none of which is meant to discourage you.

Sounds like a great venture. I get the sense that you are going into this because you 1.) love homebrewing and 2.) perceive there are others just like you who need supplies to support their love of homebrewing. But as you know, a homebrew store is not a necessity of life like a grocery store or an auto repair shop. So, my question is, have you have researched the need for an LHBS in your area? Is the need real or perceived? In a community of 22,000, is there enough community brewing activity to support one? My nearest LHBS serves a community of 15,500 and it survives because it is mainly a beer store. If it were strictly a homebrew supplier, I can tell you for certain it would have died long ago.

I've seen a lot of businesses over the years fail because they tried to survive on a love of what someone loved to do. When reality sets in, a business cannot be sustained by emotion.

I was sole proprietor of a small business for 21 years. It never entered my mind to do this as a living, but someone who had been in the same business before me saw the potential in me and convinced me to consider it. In the process, he came alongside me, apprenticed me, encouraged me, saw me through my mistakes, made connections and worked with me after I was established until I was able to make a viable business of it on my own. While I eventually grew to *love* what I was doing, love did not pay the bills.

Do your demographics; don't assume people will support your business just because you would support the same business. Finally, you absolutely, positively won't survive without good, steady help.

Is the need real or perceived? In a community of 22,000, is there enough community brewing activity to support one?

Well, I perceive it to be real. Just based on talking to about 40-50 people. And what they've told me others have said. My community is actually about 200K. We have two other counties with similar numbers within 30 minutes. I'm off a major highway (and a ton of traffic), the other two shops within the hour drive are not. They are in the tourist driven area which may help during the season, but I don't see many tourists in there buying brewing stuff while they are on vacation. Although one guy did stop in once while he was down here looking for something pretty common - so I guess there is a chance...

Well, I perceive it to be real. Just based on talking to about 40-50 people. And what they've told me others have said. My community is actually about 200K. We have two other counties with similar numbers within 30 minutes. I'm off a major highway (and a ton of traffic), the other two shops within the hour drive are not. They are in the tourist driven area which may help during the season, but I don't see many tourists in there buying brewing stuff while they are on vacation. Although one guy did stop in once while he was down here looking for something pretty common - so I guess there is a chance...

Cool! Go for it!

I have read through this and hope you will spend a lot more time planning this. I hate to say it, but nothing I have read shows me you are ready. I have owned my own retail store for years. You better listen to these folks telling you you are undercapitalized. You keep saying how you have spent years "thinking" about how it is going to work out. Stop thinking, buy a calculator and start figuring out how you are going to get paid.

Do not think you are going to just have fun and money is not important, etc. You will have a job, you will have to work like a dog, you have people hate you, cuss you, steal from you, and take you for granted. They will complain that you don't have this and that and go buy it online, shipped free with no sales tax for less than you can buy it for wholesale.

Do you even know how much it will cost to heat and cool and light and house and show and dust off and market and insure and pay taxes on a single pack of yeast in your store?

You sound as if you are planning on being there for opening day, with little thought to how you will stay afloat for the two+ years it will take you to start making minimum wage on a weekly basis. Do you even know how much inventory you will have to sell to make minimum wage? Do you know how much MORE inventory you will have to have on hand because you will not sell everything in your store every four months, that is not how it works.

The "Aw shucks, I just love beer" attitude is going to end up with you out $30k+ and a year of your life that you would rather forget. Retail sales has nothing to do with how long you have been homebrewing or that your wife went to business school. You close your eyes and imagine how cool it will be to hang around and talk homebrewing, that cool daydream is just under 10% of what your job will really be like. The rest is hard and thankless.

Yes, you will have some nice moments. Yes, you will have loyal wonderful customers. You will not have enough of either of these to keep you fed and make it worth your while. The rest is going to be work and figuring out how to get paid on Friday.

Do not think you will survive without pay, because you are living off a retirement check. Going to work is work. How long are you going to take the day to day of retail ownership as you pump in money for little to no pay. I will tell you. NOT VERY LONG.

You want to make money in retail homebrew supply? Then apply for a job at the other homebrew store in your area and work there for six months. Profit on day one, no money at risk, guaranteed return. If you are still there and haven't returned to retirement after six months to a year (it is required that you work through Christmas season to understand how seasonal sales work), then you will have a more realistic notion of what daily life in retail is like.

I think I could turn this into a book, but I am just going to stop here. I hated to do it, but you needed a "wake up" slap across the face.

willnewton speaks well.
Look, we have been open 8 months....we have made money only once. We will probably lose money for the year....but I figured that would happen. It may be a year from now before we steadily make money...and it won't be much but I never planned to make much. This is a hobby shop and we run it as a hobby, not a source of income. Without the shop we would easily be spending what we lose on entertainment in bars, restaurants, etc. This way, we have friends/customers (and so far all our customers are friendly :)) come visit with us, share some beers and stories and have just as much fun.

Our biggest variable cost that we struggle to control is freight. We have limited space so we have limited inventory which means we have more frequent shipments and my freight to cost dollar is the biggest thing I struggle to improve. It becomes a real challenge to determine total cost vs item cost for the same item from three suppliers because the freight can vary so much..... So if you are small, whatever you plan on freight is going to be way, way too low....especially in your location. My freight rates are really good because there is limited incoming but lots of outbound freight here, but still a problem cost. Your freight rates will be even higher to central FL. So either have plenty of capital to pay for inventory and space to store it or double what you model for costs.

I have read through this and hope you will spend a lot more time planning this. I hate to say it, but nothing I have read shows me you are ready. I have owned my own retail store for years. You better listen to these folks telling you you are undercapitalized. You keep saying how you have spent years "thinking" about how it is going to work out. Stop thinking, buy a calculator and start figuring out how you are going to get paid.

Do not think you are going to just have fun and money is not important, etc. You will have a job, you will have to work like a dog, you have people hate you, cuss you, steal from you, and take you for granted. They will complain that you don't have this and that and go buy it online, shipped free with no sales tax for less than you can buy it for wholesale.

Do you even know how much it will cost to heat and cool and light and house and show and dust off and market and insure and pay taxes on a single pack of yeast in your store?

You sound as if you are planning on being there for opening day, with little thought to how you will stay afloat for the two+ years it will take you to start making minimum wage on a weekly basis. Do you even know how much inventory you will have to sell to make minimum wage? Do you know how much MORE inventory you will have to have on hand because you will not sell everything in your store every four months, that is not how it works.

The "Aw shucks, I just love beer" attitude is going to end up with you out $30k+ and a year of your life that you would rather forget. Retail sales has nothing to do with how long you have been homebrewing or that your wife went to business school. You close your eyes and imagine how cool it will be to hang around and talk homebrewing, that cool daydream is just under 10% of what your job will really be like. The rest is hard and thankless.

Yes, you will have some nice moments. Yes, you will have loyal wonderful customers. You will not have enough of either of these to keep you fed and make it worth your while. The rest is going to be work and figuring out how to get paid on Friday.

Do not think you will survive without pay, because you are living off a retirement check. Going to work is work. How long are you going to take the day to day of retail ownership as you pump in money for little to no pay. I will tell you. NOT VERY LONG.

You want to make money in retail homebrew supply? Then apply for a job at the other homebrew store in your area and work there for six months. Profit on day one, no money at risk, guaranteed return. If you are still there and haven't returned to retirement after six months to a year (it is required that you work through Christmas season to understand how seasonal sales work), then you will have a more realistic notion of what daily life in retail is like.

I think I could turn this into a book, but I am just going to stop here. I hated to do it, but you needed a "wake up" slap across the face.

Nailed it. Especially the Christmas thing. I was in retail for 7 years before I opened my shop and the learning curve was still pretty steep. Go work in a mom and pop retail store and see what it's like before you want to commit to that kind of life. It definitely isn't for everyone, and competition from the internet has made it infinitely harder

Glad this came back up. I will say the most alarming comment, well one of them at least, is the comment where you are admitting that your inventory will sit on shelves for a long time. The complacency surrounding that comment is astounding. Moreover, who wants to buy grain that has sat around in a container for months on end? If I want to use grain that is that old then it better be coming from my own buckets at home. A home brew supply shop doesn't and should never strive or be okay with inventory sitting around. Everything that we brew with should be as fresh as possible. Don't you agree? If you know inventory will sit then this is a business you should either skip or open in a new location (which I believe was mentioned above).

Back