Starters for a 3 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwo9m

Reaction score
I have recently started brewing 3 gallon batches instead of 5. So far I have just been dumping the entire contents of a wyeast smack pack into my wort. A buddy of mine keeps telling me about how much of a difference starters have been making for his beer. If I made a starter for my three gallon batches, would I be in danger of overpitching? Would it make much of a difference in a three gallon batch with an OG around 1.050? What about a higher gravity wort like around 1.080?

you only need to make a starter if you don't have enough yeast for the batch your making. yes even 3 gallon batches will benefit from having enough yeast to start with. you would only be in danger of over-pitching if you didn't do your homework and made a starter that was to big. beers of all gravities should have starters unless only one package of yeast will suffice.

to figure out how much yeast and how big of a starter you need go here.

Back