starter wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyfife

Reaction score
Hi,
I just finished brewing up a 5 gal batch, and i saved the last 1.5 liters dregs of the mash. It has a SG of 1.016. I plan on brewing again in a couple of days, and the batch will be a 1.049 Ale. Can i use the 1.016 to make a starter, or should i boil it, and add some DME to it. If so, how much DME. Haven't tried this before, so wondering if it can be done.

I will be using a wyeast 1056 harvested from a 1.045 yeast cake a month ago

Thanks
Barney

barneyfife said:
Hi, I just finished brewing up a 5 gal batch, and i saved the last 1.5 liters dregs of the mash. It has a SG of 1.016. I plan on brewing again in a couple of days, and the batch will be a 1.049 Ale. Can i use the 1.016 to make a starter, or should i boil it, and add some DME to it. If so, how much DME. Haven't tried this before, so wondering if it can be done. I will be using a wyeast 1056 harvested from a 1.045 yeast cake a month ago Thanks Barney

I don't see a reason why you can't use some of the final runnings from your mash to use a little less DME in the starter. Depending on the yeast you are making the starter for, it may be good to have the first step low gravity (although in your case you could probably go right to 1.035-1.040, if you were starting with very little yeast like from a bottle your runnings may be perfect).

I would definitely BOIL the wort first. Raw grain is covered in bacteria and wild yeast, so you need to boil to kill it off.

Back