Starter with wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilo

Reaction score
Would a starter bennefit if it is done using real wort, comparing to extract or any other source of sugar?
I have this small mash trun that I use for testing and thought it wouldn't be much hassle to mash half gallon to be used for a starter. I was planning to use base malt that match the recipe where the starter will be used, like using wheat malt for the starter that will ferment a wit. Thoughts?

mash1.jpg

mash2.jpg

Mash3.jpg

I think it's a great idea and can certainly see some advantages to it (whether or not the yeast will see the advantages is another question). I can't see how this would be worse than extract. It'll take more of your time, but if you make enough wort to freeze for later use then it might be worth it.

I also like the idea of acclimating a yeast to it's future fermenting situation,

When I do that I have a little more protein trub with wort than with DME. it's not a big deal, but makes estimating cells by volume a less accurate without a microscope.

When I do that I have a little more protein trub with wort than with DME. it's not a big deal, but makes estimating cells by volume a less accurate without a microscope.

Very good point - I overlooked that aspect. Between denny and woodland, I can see the simplicity in extract.

Yeast strains are also grown in labs to prefer a very specific OG, so there's a lot of benefit to creating a starter with the recommended OG from the producing lab. You'll get better growth and more healthy viable cells this way. Best put, extract will make it easier to create this environment and will reduce the chance of off-flavor production from yeast mutations that can occur, in addition to making cell-count easier and more reliable.

Back