starter with washed yeast and maybe a tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Made a starter just now with some wlp004 irish ale yeast. washed it almost a year ago and it did not look good when I opened it up so hopefully it takes off. It is on the stir plate right now so we shall see..... Just an FYI for some reason baby food jars just did not work well , I would not recommend using them.

I have a very small kraussen starting around the edges of he flask so maybe it is gona take off. I hope so I almost out of my ODE TO ARTHUR guinness clone.

I had a similar situation this week. I washed some London ale iii yeast 7 or 8 months ago and pitched it into my starter Thursday. I was a little worried Friday since it wasn't until Saturday when I finally saw krausen forming. Just needed time I guess. Pitched it today and its looking promising.

I had them stored in mason jars, so ill keep it in mind not to use baby food jars.

I have washed and used yeast quite a few times. I have used mason jars...snapple bottles...baby food jars and hard plastic vials. I have only ever had one jar go bad and that was well over a year old. Every one of the baby food jars are really dark and do not smell that great..not awful but not like normal either. This starter has still not taken off......maybe I did something wrong, but the only variable that I can think of is the baby food jars. I have no idea why they did not work as well.

I have washed and used yeast quite a few times. I have used mason jars...snapple bottles...baby food jars and hard plastic vials. I have only ever had one jar go bad and that was well over a year old. Every one of the baby food jars are really dark and do not smell that great..not awful but not like normal either. This starter has still not taken off......maybe I did something wrong, but the only variable that I can think of is the baby food jars. I have no idea why they did not work as well.

Unless the seal in the lid was bad, you need to look elsewhere for the reason the yeast went bad. It's only a jar, nothing else can go wrong.

Unless the seal in the lid was bad, you need to look elsewhere for the reason the yeast went bad. It's only a jar, nothing else can go wrong.

I think that may be the issue. they never seemed to reseal properly.

still looks like a no go on this yeast... I have never had one not start. This one LOOKS like it is a thicker solution but there has been no kraussen at all.

Back