Starter with liquid yeast and saving some

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkncode

Reaction score
this is only mysecond starter, I did a 3L starter with mj dry yeast belgium tripel yeast a long time ago

Now I'm doing a riwaka kolsch with the white labs pure pitch pack so thought saving some yeast nakes sense so decided to do a 2L starter which is bigger than I need but within the capabiluties of my flask with the intention of keeping the excess yeast for storage.
I now have a stirplate working which i didnt have when i did the dry yeast starter.

I gave been accumulating stuff to store yeast so given i have a long weekend I guess u will use some of it..

I have glycerin for freezing and preassure cooker etc. I even gave agar agar if i want to expirinent with streaking.

While I sort out the main brew and the storage processes i guess a steralised jar in the fridge with a bit or wort. Its not likley i will brew with this yeast for at least a few months but i would like to save some. Just comes down to choosing the best storage method since i have everything for freezing or slants etc.

Best storage method for 3+ month range etc. I can try them all but pointers to most conveniant are welcome.

20191025_234903.jpg

I'm sure I don't do it as carefully as most, but I set up next to my range with a burner on. Creating an updraft the try to keep the nasties away. I have 20 ml vials that I use for freezing. With a medicine syringe I add 5 ml Glycerin, 5 ml yeast and 10 ml boiled and cooled water to each vial. I do 4 of them.

For brew day I have to start a week in advance. I start with a 250 ml starter at 1.025. After 36 - 48 hours I add 750 ml wort at 1.035. 24 - 36 hours later I put that in the fridge to crash. I then consider this as a fresh package of yeast, decant and add wort in the amount needed for my recipe. This, if it is over .75 liter I will crash and decant. If under .75 liter I will pitch at high krausen.

So it takes some planning.

Can't compare to slanting and I feel it is better than storing in jars in the fridge for longer periods. I have resurrected frozen yeast kept for more than 6 years.

Back