Starter vs. Clone kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmll89

Reaction score
hey all,

i just recently started brewing, and have done 2 batches using the brewer's best starter kits. the beers have been fine, no problems, and were a nice way to get introduced to brewing, but i'm looking to branch out a little. i'm wondering about the clone kits available online (austin home brew supply has a huge selection of kits for clones of commercially available beers). does anybody have any experience with these? are they much more difficult than the starter kits? any suggestions would be great.

A kit is a kit...or a recipe is a recipe. The only difference is that these clone established beers. But they are really no different than if you chose a generic recipe.

They're the same thing. The only difference is that where BB says their kit is (e.g.,) an IPA in the generic sense, AHS has chosen ingredients so their kit tastes like Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA (or whatever).

I've never ordered an AHS clone kit so this isn't a knock against them, but go into these clone recipes with low expectations - most people say clone kits are very close to the commercial beer but not an exact clone.

My very first beer was from my LHBS (in another town) and was supposed to be a Sierra Nevada PA clone - not even freaking close. Not only was my beer way darker, but it was under gravity and under hopped. Then I find online a bunch of the SNPA clone recipes and it just further emphasized how far off the mark my kit was. It's like they didn't try...

I'm sure AHS has done a better job than the burnt out hippie retard who ran the shop I was visiting, but go in with the attitude of "I like this style of beer, I'd love to make something like it."

Back