Starter - Sealed Mason Jar - Lid Clicks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nierika

Reaction score
Got a mason jar of canned wort from my lhbs, and just noticed the lid clicks. Does that indicate that the jar has not sealed properly? Not sure if I should boil 1st to be safe. Any thoughts?

Clicking means its not sealed properly, and also means it probably was not pressure cooked properly.

I would toss it, no one wants to die from botulismcause they are trying to save 2 dollars.

ALSO, you would need to heat the wort to 250F for at least three minutes to make it safe.

so when i boiled water for a yeast starter and put the lid on it vacuum sealed. but i had to open it obviously to wash the yeast out of my carboy and add the yeast slurry back in to the jar. now the lid clicks in the fridge. should i be worried?

so when i boiled water for a yeast starter and put the lid on it vacuum sealed. but i had to open it obviously to wash the yeast out of my carboy and add the yeast slurry back in to the jar. now the lid clicks in the fridge. should i be worried?

If you store yeast in a jar, and that yeast came out of the bottom of a carboy, you are OK. The slurry you get out of the carboy is full of alcohol and will not grown any nasties (i.e., botulism spores).

I have a ton of yeast stored in my fridge, all in simple nalgene jars. Sometimes I make starters with them but often they get dumped right in to the fermenter (after they come down to room temp)

Back