starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twst1up

Reaction score
Made a starter last wed in a flask. 1/2 cup DME in about 600 ml water. Didn't see any foam, although it was bubblin' and there's a decent amount of sediment on the bottom. Heres the question...i, of course, never got to brewing when i wanted and now I'm wondering if i can still use the starter after a week (figure i can but just wanna check)...or, should i decant, and add a little more boiled and cooled DME to get it going again?:confused:

thanks in advance

I almost never get any kind of substantial krausen on my starters. As long as there is sediment you are good. Remember, the purpose of a starter is to get the yeast going and get them multiplying. If you have sediment, the starter did it's job.

It will likely be fine for a while, but it might not be a bad idea to step it up if you have the time. The yeast got nice and full and I am sure are having a nice nap right about now. They will wake back up once you put them in wort, but you can speed that process up if you give them some more munchies.

Add 1/3 Cup more DME about 24-36 hours before you plan on Pitching. Yes, you need to go through the boiling/Cooling thang again(hey man, ya never know. I have heard of people just scooping DME into a starter solution...:drunk: ).

Back