Starter questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbdChemist

I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
Reaction score
I just started my first starter. I did a two step process (2L). The second time it reacted fast and went into the blow off tube I placed. Stuff was plastered on the sides of the flask and the water change color. I am asking because it seems like there is less of a yeast cake in the second time than the first. I don't think the yeast would go out of the solution. Plus the solution is less than initially (100 or so mL).

Any help will be appreciated

You are fine. The purpose of yor starter it's not just for more cells, but more viable cells. So, even if you loose some, there are millions more in suspension! Swirl your flask to get most of it back into suspension and you will be good to go! On a side note, fermcap-s will help greatly in the future if you want to give it a try!

DisturbdChemist said:
Thanks for the quick response. I'm cold crashing it until brew day tomorrow. First time jitters and just easing some worries I had. I'll look that up and use it next time

I was nervous with my first starter too but it was the best thing I have ever done for my brewing. Just have to step back and not worry about it. As long as you kept things sanitary you will be fine. Just as a side note I have never cold crashed. I make mine 24 hours before pitching and leave it out, don't decant, and everything turns out pretty damn good. No worries and cheers!

+1 on the cell count not being the main concern. It's not, but it is important. But most importantly you want to condition the yeast to maltose.

Back