Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SC_Ryan

Reaction score
I know it's not generally necessary to make a starter with powdered yeast (just rehydrate) for a 5 gallon batch. How about with 10 gallon batches? Thanks in advance:)

For (larger) 10 gallon batches, just get multiple packages of the dried yeast. Two for sure, 3 if you want to be safe or it's a high gravity beer. By the way, according to the directions on the back of the dried yeast packages, not only is it unnecessary to make a starter, it's not advised.

Yeah, much of the reason people use dry yeast is that it's cheap and convenient... Cheap enough that buying two packs is generally preferable to only buying one but destroying the convenience factor by making a starter.

I would rather 'waste' my time by rehydrating or making a starter before a pitch an old ass packet of yeast and get no activity because the yeast is dead. Just my opinion though.

Ok, why is not a good idea to make a starter for dried yeast? Seems like a good starter could only make things better.

From how to brew:
Note: Lallemand/Danstar does not recommend proofing after rehydration of their yeast because they have optimized their yeast's nutrional reserves for quick starting in the main wort. Proofing expends some of those reserves.

A starter is another step that can introduce contamination- more harm than good.

From howtobrew.com "5. Rehydrate the dried yeast."

I think its a good idea. I believe that only that type of yeast calls for no proofing. If you have good sanitation practices, I don't think you would ever have a problem.

Quick question on a starter, I made one last night and pitched the yeast at around 10:30 pm, this morning (6:30 am) when checking on it, the yeast settled at the bottom. Could it had fermented out already? I made it in a 1000 ml Erlenmeyer flask, yeast was WLP001 and I used a yeast starter.

It's possible but unlikely. Usually I can smell the difference. If you take the foil/airlock off and take a big whiff from the flask, you'll know what I mean. If it's fermented out already, then you'll get a noseful of co2/alcohol smells. You know the way co2 hits you in the face...well, you'll get that from a finished starter. If you take a whiff and it just smells like wort, then it's probably not even begun yet. swirl it around and wait...

Thanks Evan..thats what I did :) Hope it starts soon, Im brewing on sat.

Is the yeast working yet?

If not:
How old was the WLP001?
What temperature was the wort at when you pitched the yeast?
What temperature do you ferment your starter at?

Tips:
I add yeast nutrient if using older yeast.

If I don't have nutrient then make starter wort from grain because it has the nutrients that DME does not have.

I hope this helps.

Back