Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinkingg

Reaction score
I'll be brewing a bock beer with OG supposed to be around 1.075. I'll use wyeast munich lager yeast and I read that a starter should be made when brewing high OG beers so I went on and made my starter with a similar OG (maybe a bit higher kind of 1.100) and it is stored now at 45 F The starter was made about 9 days ago. Now the Questions:

The starter continues bubling is this al right?

I plan to brew in about two or three days, should I add more wort now to this starter?

Finally I see in the starter about an inch of sediment and then I have about 4 or 5 of liquid what should I pour to my wort?. all the starter? should I swirl it to pitch in all the sediment? should I throw away most of the liquid and then swirl the remaining liquid with all the sediment? Or should I leave the sediment behind?

Thank for helping I live in Mexico and don't have in hand more yeast so I don't want to ruin the only yeast I have for my beer.

reinkingg said:
I live in Mexico and don't have in hand more yeast so I don't want to ruin the only yeast I have for my beer.
I can't answer your starter question for you reinkingg, but I'm sure others here will shortly. I just have to say welcome tho, from someone who also lives in Mexico (Tejas), tho most of my neighbors don't really agree with me. :D

Thanks both for the fast answering. I guess with some experince I'll pay back to new begginers.

reinkingg said:
The starter continues bubling is this al right?
Yes it is.

reinkingg said:
I plan to brew in about two or three days, should I add more wort now to this starter?
Sure, step it up. The bigger the beer, the bigger the starter.

reinkingg said:
Finally I see in the starter about an inch of sediment and then I have about 4 or 5 of liquid what should I pour to my wort?. all the starter? should I swirl it to pitch in all the sediment? should I throw away most of the liquid and then swirl the remaining liquid with all the sediment? Or should I leave the sediment behind?
Number 2. "should I throw away most of the liquid and then swirl the remaining liquid with all the sediment?" It's called slurry. That's the good stuff.

Wild

Back