Starter peak on stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

interplexr

Reaction score
I am looking to brew tomorrow and will be making a starter today. It's a little last minute so I was hoping to just make the starter in time to pitch at it's peak when it's most active. I use a stir plate but typically make them long enough in advance to chill and decant. How long does a starter take to reach peak on a stir plate in anyone's experience? I was thinking less than 24 hours but I honestly never really paid much attention and on the stir plate I don't get a krausen.

Thanks for the help!

The trouble is it varies so much depending on the yeast you are used and how fresh it is, I gave up trying to estimate the peak. I like to pitch at high krausen and to do this I make a stir plate starter days before I brew and then fridge and decant. Then do a second starter not on a stir plate the morning of the brew with the plan to be to pitch 8hrs later. Normally this starter would be really active when I went to brew, however the yeast was really fresh having just be through a starter. I would allow around 24hrs....ish for your starter. Letting the starter go longer than need is only going to oxidize the wort that you pitch with the starter a little more than it already was (and it is going to be pretty bad) have you thought about just doing a regular starter since you can going to be pitching all the spent wort?

Clem

I haven't thought about doing just a regular starter with O2 at the start. That should work then I would have less oxidation of the wort. The simple answers don't always come to me. ;)

Latest posts

Back