starter not from DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
So I had to get my starter going for a future brew and I realized that I did not have any DME at the house. I did however find some priming sugar that I used to use when I bottled. So I figured why not...I used the sugar and prepared 1.5L of a sugary substance that is about 1.045. I figure it will work, right? Has anyone else done this before? If so how did it come out? I haven't put the yeast in yet as I am waiting on the water to cool. I would rather pitch straight from the vial if it means this will not work. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!

It's said that you don't want to feed the yeast simple sugars, and them expect them to do some real work after. Maybe someone with more experience will jump on and explain, since I do not know exactly. But I wouldn't pitch, were it me.

Ok I have never heard that about the simple sugars before...I might look at calculator and see just how bad it would be if I just pitched the vial, but that might be worse...?

Depending on how old the yeast is, I usually pitch without a starter for a like beer. Starters are typically always good for your batch, but not a necessity for smaller beers. Whats the date? I could check my beersmith, or you could even check with Mr. Malty.

I checked with my calculator and that's why I was making a starter. I am about 56 billion cells short

Ok so no to the priming sugar starter then...guess I learned to always keep extra dme on hand

Latest posts

Back