Starter Kit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shopan

Reaction score
In My Search of finding what I hope to begin a Fantastic Journey into a New Hobby. I did not Find anything Currant So I thought I would start a New thread.

So Having scoured the Web for Starter Kits, and Countless comparisons of what each one has and what will Be needed not just for the First batch but the quality and Tools to grow into, possibly All Grain...I Found,

http://www.southernhomebrew.com/brbebemaeqki.html and
http://www.southernhomebrew.com/debrbebemaeq.html

I was Hoping someone with More experience than Myself May have dealt with the Company or had any opinion on the parts included.

Thank you

I would just pick a kit and go with it. Once you use it once or twice you will figure out what you want/need and start upgrading. I like that deluxe kit better of the two, but the carboy is only 5 gal. Would be nice to have 6 or 6.5 gal for a five gallon batch, some headspace. I started with a one gallon kit. After a few one gallon batches, and a few months later, I now have equipment to do one gallon, three gallon, and five gallon. Nice to get a couple/few different brews going at once and get the pipline going.

I agree with PADave. I started with a one gallon kit and did a lot of research ahead of time, but still found I didn't use some things and bought more/other things. Its hard to know for sure until you start doing it. After about six months I moved to 2g batches doing biab, so you will probably find your needs will change as you go.

Go with the cheaper one. Unless you absolutely "HAVE" to see the beer fermenting the carboy will turn out to be just a heavy, dangerous object in your brewing kit. Buckets work well, have handles to carry them, won't break if dropped, have large openings for cleaning. My 10 year old bucket still works fine.

If you absolutely "HAVE" to see the fermenting beer, put 2 cups of wort in a quart jar and watch that, then throw it out. You will only lose 3 cups of beer but will get to see the whole ferment.

Once you have brewed a couple batches you may find you want more equipment but it will all be optional, not a necessity. Options I have added to my cheap kit include an autosiphon and a non-contact IR thermometer, a pH meter, etc. Remember, these were not necessities, just options.

The good news is they both have the basics so either is a good choice for startung out.

One has a secondary fermenting vessel. You need to ask yourself if this is wort it to you. Most beers do not require a secondary unless you are ling term aging or adding oak cubes, etc.....

Regardless of which one you buy, you will more than likely add to it. No one of us will be able to tell you what you need to add because it is all subjective. It boils down to what makes brewing more enjoyable for you.

For example, my first additional purchase was a bench capper because I do not like how the wing capper included in most kits operates.

A friend of mine bought a grain crusher as his first additional purchase because he felt that was what he needed.

Another friend bought a kegging setup because he never wants to bottle again.

My point is whatever you add is perfect for you because we all have different brewing styles. My only recommendation is to start with a basic kit and add to it so you don't end up with items you hardly ever use.

After looking at those kits, make sure you pick up a sanitizer as it comes with only b Brite which is just a cleaner, not a sanitizer. Apart from that I'd go with the cheaper one, it is pretty much the same thing I bought years ago and still use it all.

Thank You For that...I had No realized that was Not a Sanitizer...Been thinking of other Kits from other companies that include a Recipe kits, but thoughs Do not include the Hydrometer, and Such...oh the decisions... :p

Thank you all for your advice:)

Back